PDA

View Full Version : proclear pro75 wetdry w/skimmer

ccolt1
09/14/2010, 11:03 PM
I was wondering waht you guys think of this sump and skimmer? I just won one off ebay for 45.00 and I was going to use on a 55gal with a built in coner oevrflow. I would like to know what return put i should use? Thanksfor any help! This is the 1st sump I have worked with. http://www.pro-clear.com/pro_wetdry.htm

SMT6h
09/15/2010, 06:48 AM
looks like a kind of minimal set up intended for a fish only or FOWLR tank. What are you going to keep?

Most would take the bioballs out if you are going to go reef with the tank and then put a bigger skimmer in that chamber. If I recall, the Pro clear are pretty narrow front to back, and this can limit what you can put in there for a skimmer--so check dimensions carefully.
Pump wise, a Rio or mag pump would be OK for it, go with something that turns over about 3-5 times the tank volume per hour through the filter system. remember that you will lose some of the advertised pump output by having it pump to a height through hose, so consult their chart for whatever height the pump must move water to.

-Shawn

ccolt1
09/15/2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you for the reply! I will be doing a reef tank so I might be looking for something else in the future. I figured for the price it might not be to bad. Hopefully it will work until I can get a bigger sump and skimmer later on. It's been along time since I have had a tank going so i'm learning about the new way to do things. lol;)

SMT6h
09/15/2010, 07:18 AM
you got a good price for a sump.
based on reef:
take out the bio ball material. With live rock in the tank, you will have lots of bio-filter in there.
run that skimmer initially, but start scanning for a larger skimmer to put in there. I currently run an ASM-3 in my 90 that I really like. But there are a thousand different opinions on any model of skimmer--so do some research.
pump wise--you can also drill an acrylic sump and put in a bulkhead to run an external pump---that would be my advise if you are going reef. Pumps, lights, and everything else can warm the water. If you can run a pump outside of the sump, you will find it gives you an advantage as it is aircooled and not water cooled.

-Shawn

RocketSurgeon
09/15/2010, 08:40 AM
looks like a kind of minimal set up intended for a fish only or fowlr tank. What are you going to keep?

Most would take the bioballs out if you are going to go reef with the tank and then put a bigger skimmer in that chamber.

-shawn

+1

ccolt1
09/15/2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the reply!! I will take your advice and take the Bio filter out. I will let you know how it goes when I get in the mail.