PDA

View Full Version : Multiple shrimp/goby pairs?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/15/2010, 02:21 PM
Looking for interesting livestock to start filling my 360g. I love shrimp goby/shrimp pairs, but in such a large tank it would be easy for such a pairing to get "lost" i.e. choose a crevasse I'll never see.

As such, the thought entered my mind to place several pairings in the tank. Never having done that, I came here looking for advice. Searching yielded very little information, except that apparently the only reliable way to keep more than one of the same species of shrimp goby in a given tank is if they're mated or at least opposite sex. There was very little information otherwise on keeping multiple specimens together.

That leaves the question - are there successful methods for keeping several pairings in the same tank? Should I get different species of goby to eliminate the chance for fighting? If buying "separate" livestock (i.e. NOT a pre-bonded shrimp and goby pairing) to attempt multiple pairings, is there any strategy to eliminate fighting over "preferred" creatures (i.e. I don't want all the gobies to battle over the same shrimp, while other shrimp are ignored).

Or, is this just a stupid idea? Would love to hear from people who have done this, successful or not.

username in use
09/15/2010, 06:30 PM
I have heard about someone keeping two shrimp with a handful of gobies, they stayed on opposite sides of the tank. Im not sure where I read it, but I know I did lol. I would say that if you introduced pre-bonded gobie/shrimp pairs, I would do one and let them establish a section, and then do another, but introduce them on the opposite side of the tank at night and hopefully they will make a burrow over there.

I like the idea, but for what its worth, when I had a 29g I introduced a gobie/shrimp and thought they were dead because I didn't see them for months, then their burrow finnaly reached the front of the tank and there they were doing great. So, you may never see them again hahaha.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/16/2010, 10:10 AM
So, you may never see them again

I'm at least somewhat OK with that - I like livestock that creates a sense of mystery by not being visible all the time. Still though I would like to increase my chances a bit by having several pairings, but I'm still wondering if that's possible or the best method to create such a situation.

Nearly a whole day and only one response? Cummon Reefcentral, I have more faith in you than that! :D

MBVette
09/16/2010, 10:14 AM
I have a 210g tank that I am going to be putting a second tiger pistol/gobie set in. I think it should get to the LFS this week, so if you give me a couple weeks I would be able to answer this.

My current set takes up residence on the right side of the tank and have never seen them cross the middle. So I am going to try to drop the new pistol all the way to the left and see what happens.

LobsterOfJustice
09/16/2010, 10:27 AM
In a tank with any size to it you should be fine. Just introduce multiple specimens and they will pick different rocks to live under. If some of them don't like each other they will just move under a different rock. Sometimes multiple species will share burrows, sometimes they won't. I do think each fish prefers its own burrow. Even in mated pairs, the two fish often live separate, then come together to mate, then return to separate burrows.

Here is a picture from the wild worth sharing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/threegobies.jpg

TL;DR: Just put a bunch of gobies and shrimp in there, they will figure it all out.

username in use
09/16/2010, 02:20 PM
TL;DR: Just put a bunch of gobies and shrimp in there, they will figure it all out.

I kind of like that idea. :thumbsup:

tcmfish
09/16/2010, 07:47 PM
I don't see it being a problem, and I would add two of the same species of gobies in hopes of getting a pair. I would try different species too. I doubt there would be many problems, and think you should give it a go.

Jordani
09/17/2010, 03:02 PM
In a tank with any size to it you should be fine. Just introduce multiple specimens and they will pick different rocks to live under. If some of them don't like each other they will just move under a different rock. Sometimes multiple species will share burrows, sometimes they won't. I do think each fish prefers its own burrow. Even in mated pairs, the two fish often live separate, then come together to mate, then return to separate burrows.

Hey that pic reminds me of the lfs.:) They had a yasha and a hi fin in the same burrow.

snorvich
09/17/2010, 08:51 PM
Well, my experience is: you can have multiple pistol shrimp of the same species and they will "allocate themselves" to the number of prawn gobies that are available. With Amblyeleotris randalli, I put two in an 8 foot tank and they clearly did not like each other. They moved to opposite sides of the tank, established homes, and periodically poached shrimp from each other. At one point, there were three shrimp for one goby and one shrimp for the other. But Amblyeleotris randalli may be one of the more aggressive of the prawn gobies so there may be more interesting combinations that are possible.

johnike
10/27/2010, 09:00 AM
Bump. I'm considering doing the same thing with my 180.

Gill_bucket
10/27/2010, 08:32 PM

Note the species pictured are all peaceful and can be kept together HOWEVER I would strongly urge against mixing these with a yellow watchmen!!! The watchmen is far to aggressive although you could keep a pair of watchmen.
I kept two of the gobys pictured together with no problems. I made sure they both had the same species of pistol shrimp though not sure if a larger pistol like a tiger would eat a candy cane??? Keep in mind though that these gobys stay relatively small and may be bullied by other tank mates I just re homed my high fin banded goby for this reason. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921715&highlight=pistol+shrimp

savageAJC
10/27/2010, 08:56 PM
I kept a wheelers and a yasha goby with 4 tiger pistol shrimps in my 75gal.

They ended up pairing goby/2 shrimp.

They stayed on separate sides of the tank, were introduced randomly, and tunneled everywhere! lol Ive since sold the yasha/2 shrimp pair and still have the wheelers/ 2 shrimp.

Angel*Fish
10/28/2010, 01:22 PM
I wholehearted agree with Lobster. If it were me, I'd toss in the first pair and if they didn't set up house together in a visible spot, then I'd add some more. If I ever got any again, I'd pay very close attention to the type and size of the shrimp. The one I had used to pile up 4 inches of sand on the glass. I guess that can be controlled with aquascaping if you keep the rock far enough away from the front which probably wouldn't be difficult with a 360 ;)