PDA

View Full Version : Vodka and MB7 for a brand new tank?

JG1
09/16/2010, 03:16 PM
Hey guys,

Setting up my 100g Miracles tank soon....within the next 4 weeks. Will have 0 livestock in the tank for a while.

When should I begin dosing MB7, right away? Best to follow the directions on the bottle or is there another dosing scheme that seems to work well?

About vodka, can/should this be done on a new tank as well?

Genetics
09/16/2010, 03:24 PM
There are two sides to that question. If you start early with your tank on dosing there would be less concern about overdosing as the possibility of the initial bloom would result during the startup phase and not affect future inhabitants. However, you may not need to dose anything at all if your aquarium can handle it by itself.

JG1
09/16/2010, 03:29 PM
There are two sides to that question. If you start early with your tank on dosing there would be less concern about overdosing as the possibility of the initial bloom would result during the startup phase and not affect future inhabitants. However, you may not need to dose anything at all if your aquarium can handle it by itself.

How early is too early?

I'm getting back into the hobby and don't have anything to put in the tank right now. I'm going to go with uncured bali alor LR and just let it cure in the tank for a month or so with the lights off.

MB7 during this period?

Vodka?

Genetics
09/16/2010, 04:20 PM
If you think you will definitely use supplementation then I would start adding the first sign that nitrates may not be controlled by your filtration. So in a few weeks when your tank is stable you notice nitrates higher than you want then I would start around then.

reefgeezer
09/16/2010, 07:06 PM
I used vodka and MB7 and was not a fan. I'm back to a DSB and macroalgae. RTN was a big issue for me.

JALREEFER
09/16/2010, 07:52 PM
I used vodka and MB7 and was not a fan. I'm back to a DSB and macroalgae. RTN was a big issue for me.
You should have let your alk drop

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk