PDA

View Full Version : Nac-6 overfilling with water randomly?

lolgranny
09/16/2010, 11:59 PM
Tanks been up a few months now, the NAC6 is doing work. Last month i came home and it was overflowing with water, like it was turned up 100%. I re adjusted, and ended up at the same level as before and it was working fine. Today(a month later) the same thing happens. Why is it doing this? Its not being moved nor is it being changed level wise. Im confused :/

Thanks
Dave

celano
09/17/2010, 08:19 AM
Have you tried running boiling water down the air line? Sometimes the venturi gets clogged with salt/calcium build up and causes the skimmer to start overflowing.

Also have you added anything to the tank recently? Sometimes even little things like epoxy or frag glue can cause a skimmer to overflow.

DustinB
09/17/2010, 10:04 AM
Are you sure the water level in the skimmer chamber isn't changing at all?

lolgranny
09/17/2010, 10:46 AM
Are you sure the water level in the skimmer chamber isn't changing at all?

I dont see how it could change because im not moving / touching it at all. Not one bit.

lolgranny
09/17/2010, 10:47 AM
Have you tried running boiling water down the air line? Sometimes the venturi gets clogged with salt/calcium build up and causes the skimmer to start overflowing.

Also have you added anything to the tank recently? Sometimes even little things like epoxy or frag glue can cause a skimmer to overflow.

Havent tried that, but i will tonight. Havent added one thing to the tank since its been happening.

DustinB
09/17/2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not talking about the knob, I'm talking about the water level in the sump in the chamber the skimmer is in.

lolgranny
09/17/2010, 11:04 AM
I'm not talking about the knob, I'm talking about the water level in the sump in the chamber the skimmer is in.

haha my bad bud! it hasnt moved, its always at a constant 8.5"

DustinB
09/17/2010, 11:44 AM
That's strange then, can you post a pic of the setup? I wouldn't think it would be anything blocking the air line, you would figure that would make the water level drop if anything.

celano
09/17/2010, 12:14 PM
That's strange then, can you post a pic of the setup? I wouldn't think it would be anything blocking the air line, you would figure that would make the water level drop if anything.

Because the pump starts pushing more water and sucking in less air causing the water level inside the skimmer to rise.

If sucking boiling water down the air line doesnt help try taking the pump apart and checking out the mesh. My old nac6 started overflowing once the mesh wore out.

lolgranny
09/17/2010, 12:34 PM
Because the pump starts pushing more water and sucking in less air causing the water level inside the skimmer to rise.

If sucking boiling water down the air line doesnt help try taking the pump apart and checking out the mesh. My old nac6 started overflowing once the mesh wore out.

Ya i was thinking the same thing, but the mesh isnt 2 months old. Thats what gets me. I have 2 NAC-6, , the one on my other tank is in the same environment as this one but haven't had 1 issue with it. Ill try the boiling water tonight and see if that helps it otherwise ill take the bad boy apart.

celano
09/17/2010, 05:31 PM
That's why I ditched the nac6 and went with the 150pro. Done right a meshwheel can last close to a year done wrong it might only last a few weeks or months.
I will say though, air draw numbers are very impressive with a meshwheel.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out and hopefully you can get this sorted out.