PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor question

aquasport24
09/17/2010, 12:15 PM
Just tested my effluent outlet today after running for a week . Set my ph at 6.8, co2 at 120bpm, and steady small stream coming from effleunt .Am using ARM coarse media.Here are the results.

Alk is at 10dkh
calcium is at 500ppm
Display tank is at 8dkh

AM I SETTING IT RIGHT? i thought the effluent alk should be atleast double or triple the DT alk,but am getting 500ppm calcium at the outlet though.

Rwpdunne
09/17/2010, 12:39 PM
Set it too one drop of gas per second to one drop of water per second

outy
09/17/2010, 12:53 PM
Just tested my effluent outlet today after running for a week . Set my ph at 6.8, co2 at 120bpm, and steady small stream coming from effleunt .Am using ARM coarse media.Here are the results.

Alk is at 10dkh
calcium is at 500ppm
Display tank is at 8dkh

AM I SETTING IT RIGHT? i thought the effluent alk should be atleast double or triple the DT alk,but am getting 500ppm calcium at the outlet though.

you dont need to test effluent, thats the wrong way to go about it

a cal reactor is ment to maintain levels thats it, test DT and keep conditions stable at your desired parameters. if DT is low turn up reactor,,, DT high turn down reactor.

I highly reccomend reading through the articles post in the forums, theres quite a few good ones floating around the last day or two

outy
09/17/2010, 12:57 PM
Set it too one drop of gas per second to one drop of water per second

whats good about this advise is that you do want to start low and ramp up to desired levels.

120bpm is awfully high, even 90 can be high. I suspect OP has to much effluent

test levels daily or twice a day

I dont know OP's tank size or supplimentation needs but starting with 60bpm and 30-40ml effluent might be better UNLESS his reactor is to small for the tank he's using it on.

Plato
09/17/2010, 03:00 PM
Measure the effluent in ml per minute. I start my reactors at 5ml/min then adjust up in +5mil/min till I get the desired results. Bubble rate usually 1 per second so not so much excess CO2 blow by. I use ProCal reactor from Marine Technical Concepts that has a build in glass flow meter so it is easy to adjust.

bertoni
09/17/2010, 03:22 PM
Calcium reactors tend to require a fair amount of tuning, which means watch the alkalinity carefully. I'd measure daily for a while, and tune the reactor according to a trend line in the alkalinity. This page might help, too:

http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html

KrazyReef
09/17/2010, 08:17 PM
I would say check your effluent again. If you get 500ppm on calcium then the alk should be around 24-26dkh. Like Bertoni already mentioned, be patient and very careful. Wait for the reactor to dial in for couple of hours at least before doing the test. Immediately testing the effluent after adjusting the reactor normally will give wrong results.
On the other note, if you are getting 500ppm on calcium that means the reactor are working somewhat correctly and the media does disolve at the right ph setting. Be patient and run the alk test again (may need a different test kit). After that adjust it according to your tank consumption.