PDA

View Full Version : What's the best nano fish?

stiltman
09/17/2010, 07:38 PM
I have a BC 14 with softies. It's been running for over two years.

What is the best fish for my tank?

joncd
09/17/2010, 07:46 PM
http://reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1820955

MattNoyes
09/17/2010, 11:43 PM
I have a Yellow Clown Goby in my 10g nano - what a great fish. Huge personality for a little fish. He comes to the front glass and almost begs when its food time. They can be tricky little guys though, when I first got him I thought he died within hours of being in the tank. He found a tiny cave in the rock I did not know existed and hung out there for a few days till he felt more comfortable.

bunzaroo
09/18/2010, 05:56 AM
I have a Yellow Clown Goby in my 10g nano - what a great fish. Huge personality for a little fish. He comes to the front glass and almost begs when its food time. They can be tricky little guys though, when I first got him I thought he died within hours of being in the tank. He found a tiny cave in the rock I did not know existed and hung out there for a few days till he felt more comfortable.

Agree, I have a yellow glown goby and a tail spot blenny in my 7.5 cube , they love hanging out together and have tons of personailty.

stiltman
09/18/2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys, great suggestions.

JOINCD, I can't believe this! I have wanted a mandarin since I started up my tank. I figured I would have to wait a couple years (until I upgrade my 75 to a reef from FW, and then another year).

One of these ORA mandarin's will be ok in a 14 gallon tank?

Are they readily available yet?

MPevine11
09/18/2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys, great suggestions.

JOINCD, I can't believe this! I have wanted a mandarin since I started up my tank. I figured I would have to wait a couple years (until I upgrade my 75 to a reef from FW, and then another year).

One of these ORA mandarin's will be ok in a 14 gallon tank?

Are they readily available yet?

my local pet store had the tagret mandarin

i recomend a pair of clowns. maybe like picasso clowns?

fstar25
09/18/2010, 01:30 PM
There are lots of reports that the ORA mandarins are not eating and they are still dying.

I would not recommend them yet.

On the other side, gobies and blenny's are awesome for nano's.

good luck.

Agu
09/18/2010, 06:23 PM
Blenneys, gobies, damselfish and clownfish typically protect small areas of the reef and are appropriate nano fish. However some blennies will nip on corals.

I prefer clownfish pairs. They do well in a smaller tank and have interesting behaviors. However you have to have the smaller clowns, oscellaris and percula, to be successful in a nano tank. I also have a single yellow tailed damsel in a 5.5 and it's the perfect fish (imho) in that size tank.

scd
09/18/2010, 08:48 PM
I would recommend an oscellaris clown fish. I bought mine in 1999 and he is still going. I don't like upsetting the balance in my tank, so long term survival carries a lot of weight for me.

tif
09/18/2010, 09:42 PM
I have a 14g BC with softies. I have a tailspot blenny and a redhead goby. I love both of these guys. They eat like pigs, stay small, and the blenny has a HUGE personality. :) Really enjoyable.

stiltman
09/18/2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks all, I think I am leaning towards the goby/blenny route.

reefaroni
09/19/2010, 11:09 PM
I loved my Yellow Clown Goby.. but they do tend to perch on sps which could be a problem