PDA

View Full Version : Corallife Skimmer Problem

shawn.austin
09/17/2010, 08:20 PM
I know yall have heard this a 1000 times but I'm going to ask again.

My skimmer is on a 24 gallon bow front tank. When I run the skimmer it the water level in the skimmer is so high that the water just overflow and over flows. I have tried to cut the tubing on the output but it still is overflowing can anyone give me any suggestions?

luvreefs23
09/17/2010, 10:28 PM
id ditch the skimmer put on a aquaclear 70 and put polyfilter in there with a bag of chemipure elite, will do much more than that skimmer will ever do.

allsps40
09/17/2010, 10:31 PM
SS are very touchy. Run the skimmer wide open and let is settle in the slow adjust it. I ran a SS65 for years. They are not a good skimmer IMO. Get a Octopus or Deltec HOB.

Ky1duck
09/18/2010, 09:39 AM
i have a ss65 been using it for a few month, tried puting it in my sump but it would overflow like yours because of the slight amount of water hight in the sump from water evap. moved it to the ack of the tank and has worked well for me there. the only time if trys to over flow now is when i get saltcreep in the air tube, or the bubble box filter pad is dirty. i also shortened the tube between the pump and skimmer to about 1 1/2" also the changing water level in the tank if u dont use a sump will miss with the skimmer too

julie180
09/18/2010, 12:13 PM
I liked my SS220. It was just not big enough for my new tank. You don't have to get a new skimmer!

I would try cutting the tube and getting the pump higher in the water.

shawn.austin
09/20/2010, 07:07 AM
I mean I have shortened the length of the tube of the pump, I shortened the return pump, I don't have a sump and it I lower my water level anymore it makes the tank look unkept and dirty..... I don't know what to do.

cdeboard
09/20/2010, 08:41 AM
If I am not mistaken the ss65 has a setting on the pump and a setting for air flow. Should adjust these til the issue stops. Also cut the hose to very minimal. I have run several coralifes. I currently run a 125g with the fishing line mod (great mod) on my 90g. I have had this skimmer on tanks from 37g all the way up to a 125g with no issues.

shawn.austin
09/20/2010, 04:42 PM
I don't know where that fixture is, I can not control my pump?

shawn.austin
09/20/2010, 08:13 PM
bump

B-Willz
09/20/2010, 08:21 PM
Is it still new, not run a long time? If so it has to run through a break in period for a couple of days. The SS is not the best, but will work ok.

shawn.austin
09/20/2010, 08:52 PM
I have ran it no stop for almost four days now

shawn.austin
09/20/2010, 08:53 PM
Should I make the intake tubing longer so that the water have to travel farther to the skimmer and that might reduce the water level within the skimmer, because right now the water level within the skimmer is at the top of the collection cup intake.

shawn.austin
09/21/2010, 03:44 AM
bump

allsps40
09/21/2010, 09:35 PM
I ran mine in sump and it works best that way. Pump intake should be 2 inches under water. I made an eggcrate stand to elevate the skimmer. I also had to shorten the outlet flexable tube so it was an inch under the water and I did not use the bubble trap. This skimmer also gets calcium and salt build up in the venturi and will make the water level higher in the skimmer plus will not pull in as much air. There are 2 valves on the SS one one the pump and on one the outlet. If your water level is still to high after all that then turn down the valve for the pump and leave the outlet wide open. My water level was always at the bottom of the cup neck, it really will only skim wet. Does not do so well skimming dry.

maynardjames
09/21/2010, 10:04 PM
had a 65 for about a year tried every mod i could find & never got it to work well. i would get it dialed in perfect & wake up to stinky water in the floor. after a few times of having to clean up before going to work i had to get something else. went to a octopus hob it worked great. finally got a sump two years ago & got a insump skimmer. when it was working it skimmed well, just didnt work well most of time