PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Potter's Leopard Wrasses

ironwill723
09/18/2010, 04:03 AM
I am trying to determine if I just purchased a male or female Hawaiian Potter's Wrasse. Current tank is a 220g mixed reef. Wrasses in the tank already are a male bluestar leopard wrasse, a six line wrasse, and a cleaner wrasse. None of the fish bothered the potter's except the blue star. The blue star would dart at the potters and chase it back to one side of the tank. It also knocked some scales off the potters before I could separate them. At this point I am not sure if this is due to having two males or just territory issues with the blue star being in the tank for a year. The blue star wrasse is currently in my refugium on a time out. I am hoping if I wait a week or so and reintroduce the blue star back to the DT the aggression will be gone. Potters wrasse seems ok now that blue star is out but no picture as he has been in the sand most of the time. Does anyone have any photos of male and female potters? Any other info or advice is welcome. Thanks.

ironwill723
09/18/2010, 12:39 PM
I found this on a UK forum...

"The Potter's males have predominantly blue lines on the face, for the female lines and dots in equal abundance on the face, with much larger dark edges to the blue spots on body.

Kuiter's book:

http://www.tmc-publishing.com/books/book-30.htm"

I still can't find any pictures of the male and female side by side for comparison on the web at least.

iamwrasseman
09/18/2010, 12:59 PM
they are very close in comparison and its difficult unless you have a few to compare at the same time to see the subtle differences . when they get very large it gets much easier and your quote there is what the difference is to be observed at .
you did the best thing in removing the bluestar and if you can also move some of your aquascaping around a bit then you may have no issues when you reintroduce the bluestar . i would suggest that you keep him out for at least two weeks and this is only based on my opinion .i do hope that all settles down as the both are very beautiful . is the bluestar displaying male patterns? they could also both be dominant females and its funny as i have multiples of them together and have had no issues at all .

ironwill723
09/18/2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help Dave. The bluestar turned to male in my tank nearly overnight about 8 months ago and has full male coloration. The potters is larger than the bluestar by nearly 2". I would guess that the potters is about 5" with the bluestar being about 3.5" The bluestar can stay in my fuge for 2 weeks no problem. I was actually looking for a female bluestar for my male but when the lfs had this potters arrive it was too nice to pass on. I can't really even find a good comparable picture of what my potters looks like. It was labeled Hawaiian potters wrasse at the LFS but the coloring is different than most pictures online as mine is more pinkish with blue spots rather than orange. It is out swimming around now, seems ok, missing some scales and torn fins from the attacks yesterday, and I am assuming hasn't settled in enough to seriously go after food yet. I am hopeful though to have both.

iamwrasseman
09/18/2010, 06:03 PM
one thing that i have found to help with the aggressives will be smaller feedings more often even if you have to feed a bit extra and do a bit larger water change for a month or so just to let them know that food ,which is their main driving force other than mating will always be available .if they dont see feeding a threat they seem to be better off IMO.also if its possable to move a few rocks around so the blue star comes back into unfamiliar surroundings it will help out tons IMO. i wish you the best and please when you reintroduce the blue star keep me posted as to what happens because i am truly interested and concerned for their well being together . i have had pretty good results keeping some wrasses that really shouldn't go together and am always interested in the outcome of others in different situations .
thanks Dave