PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable

PGUY1
09/18/2010, 12:39 PM
Well I've spent all this time growing some cool acros. I've got acan lords and other LPS. I've got two great looking blue croceas. But anytime someone not in the hobby, like my wife's friends, comes to the house all they comment on is my isolated patch of pulsating xenia. "Oooh! Look at that! Look how it opens and closes!" So why do I spend all this time maintaining precise parameters for hard to keep livestock when I could just have a tank full of xenia and soft coral? Unbelievable.

wrott
09/18/2010, 12:45 PM
People, they're the worst.
I know what you mean, the only thing that catches the attention of my friends is the anemone and the "cute" couple of clown fish. Occasionally I hear, "Is that blue thing alive?".

Shiandy
09/18/2010, 12:47 PM
lol, Cast yourself back when you setup your 1st reef tank, and was browsing round the LFS, I'm sure those pulsing Xenia caught your eye back then too :)

noahm
09/18/2010, 01:39 PM
Building a tank to please others is probably the wrong approach anyway. I always hear the 'You only have those couple of fish'. It is kind of humorous though.

wallj
09/18/2010, 01:48 PM
i say who cares what they think, if you like then thats all that matters, i guess their appreciation could only help tho, lol:spin1:

PGUY1
09/18/2010, 02:31 PM
Building a tank to please others is probably the wrong approach anyway. I always hear the 'You only have those couple of fish'. It is kind of humorous though.Yeah, I like my fish but consider them more of a decoration. The corals and inverts are what I like the most.

rssjsb
09/18/2010, 02:45 PM
Past visitors have always been impressed by my bubble algae.

Dave VG
09/18/2010, 05:27 PM
Ya I hate that to lol.

spamreefnew
09/18/2010, 05:55 PM
my guests always say " what kind of plant is that?" when they are talking about my corals lol

wilsonreefs
09/18/2010, 08:00 PM
X2 on the Bubble Algae..lol What's funny is this really happens! What really surprises me is when people point to a coral and say " is that thing real, what is it?" But your right the most simple of things is what catches the eye...

rtbm
09/18/2010, 08:28 PM
amongst a tank of prized sps and large georgous tangs, it's the cleaner shrimp that claims the most attention.

Every time.

I've come to just accept it.

tom obrecht
09/18/2010, 08:32 PM
I always laughed when people would have their noses up the glass then all of a sudden say in a suprised voice "WHAT IS THAT"! I would rush up to the tank and see what they had discovered...same thing every time...the algae clip shaped like a clown fish! WHat can you do but laugh.

Denadai
09/18/2010, 08:39 PM
Here I heard that I have a cool coral....that was an aiptasia !!!

Sam2000001
09/18/2010, 08:47 PM
I had a friend with her face glued to my tank and my serpent sea star came out of the rocks and she freaked out, it was hilarious.

LaOtIn
09/18/2010, 08:58 PM
cable guy was here the other day fixing the phone line. after he was done he looked at my tank on the way out, he said, you mind if i look at your aquarium? i said, no by all means. he looked at it for a good 2-3 mins and finally said, oh cool, youre rocks move! i said, do what? i came over to the tank. he said, yeah, youre rocks, they are moving. i looked at where he was pointing. i said, yeah those are snails. he looked and said, oh, ok, well youre decorations are really colorful, it looks very cool. (i guess he was meaning my coral were decorations?) anyway, i said, yeah its real cool. then he thanked me and left. i looked at my tank after he left and said to myself, my rocks are moving! lol

Fishamatank
09/18/2010, 11:01 PM
Well I know how you feel, I was ripping xenia out in hunks and hacking up my kenya tree with a razor blade the other day to keep things under control and my wife is standing there hollaring about me taking all the cool stuff out and telling me how she doesn't really like the hard corals.
A friend came by a while ago and pointed at just about every piece of coral and asked "is that real?" "that one real too?"...

I get enjoyment out of it, that's all that really matters. On another note the guy that we have come by every few months and spray for bugs is fascinated with the tank. He does more staring than spraying. He has a SW tank and is blown away by my tank. Every once in a while somebody who knows what they're looking at will appreciate it and that is nice.

Cody Ray
09/19/2010, 12:01 AM
This is what I get:
"How much did that cost?"
"About $60 bucks"
"Are you *insert something vulgar here* kidding me? Are you insane?"
"Of course I am! This hobby does crazy stuff to ya"

syedjilani
09/19/2010, 04:45 AM
:lol:

I invited some of my friends at diner last week. They all surprised to see my new tank. Some of them had little knowledge about fish tank. After three days one of my friend invited me at his house for dinner with his another friends. Now the most imported part of the conversation between my friend and his friend is to introduce my reef tanks to them. How he was introducing mu reef tank, Syed’s got beautiful and expensive fish tank, a lot of colorful fishes and some colorful stones in the tank…..:lol:……which look like garbage to me………..(the way of introducing SPS)……….:lol:

reefWW96
09/19/2010, 06:17 AM
I normally get "what are those black fans blowing underwater?" Oh those are powerheads, I have a tank filled with zoanthid colonies of all kinds of bright colors and sps and lps -the hermit crab or two that occasionally moves to the sand attracts by far the most attention.

Patroklos
09/19/2010, 06:31 AM
"How much does it cost" is the usual question. I shock them with extremely large or extremely low numbers, depending on my mood.

mscarpena
09/19/2010, 06:42 AM
Past visitors have always been impressed by my bubble algae.

Commented!!! I get a lot of wows how cool is that. I respond what, they respond that iridescent round green thing. I of course respond oh um that yeah that is bad algae I rip out every once in a while. Then I direct them to everything else that is living and show them all the things that they missed. I also show them the corals mouths and all the little critters running around. They then leave very impressed.

OneReef
09/19/2010, 07:32 AM
I hear " What are those black things?" (powerheads), or they are more impresssed by the MagFloat than anything in the aquarium. Also, no one seems to understand that coral are alive and growing. I guess it is just a plastic decoration I placed in the tank to them.

izzy123
09/19/2010, 08:50 AM
:lmao:

this is a funny thread....... kinda reminds me of the first time I saw a reef tank..... couldn't get enough of looking in all the nooks and crannys to see if I could find some of the shrimps and whatnot..... never really looked at the corals that were in there :spin1:

Now I realised I was looking at a reef tank with a lot of sps...... :eek2:

I feel for the guy...... but that was the moment I realised I wanted that too :celeb2:

cjones1344
09/19/2010, 09:01 AM
I have a pretty new tank, my rock isn't even covered with corraline yet. I just have some little easy stuff: a few zoa's, some gsp, and some palys. It goes the same way every time.

"is that saltwater?"
"yes"
"oh"
"why don't you have any fish?"
"I have four, they're just small"
"oh"
"what are those black things?"
"they're powerheads, they move water"
"oh"
"when will all this dead coral come back to life?" (talking about my reefcleaners rock)
"it won't, that's just rock, I do have some coral that's alive though"
"oh"
"what are those plants?" (talking about all the coral)
"thats coral"
"oh"
Then they walk away

I think all I've ever heard anyone say after I answer their question is "oh". One day I'll have two tanks, one tank for myself and one tank full of nothing but clownfish, blue hippo tangs, hermit crabs, and anemones.

boviac
09/19/2010, 11:31 AM
went away on vacation and had neighbor taking care of the tank. He said there was lots of growth. I said, 'really?' He pointed to these 'black when exposed to light' hitchhiker sponges that had grown about 3/4". I smiled and said YES thanks!

Ston3
09/19/2010, 02:19 PM
My gf actually likes watching my tank, but gets mad at me for spending so much money on "little sticks."

cbatkinson
09/19/2010, 02:33 PM
funny thread...everyone i know says that want a tank...but they hear its a ton of work...they also like the "grass" or GSP and how everything moves in the current...