PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Tang

commodore
09/18/2010, 07:07 PM
My LFS carries a fish they call Philippine Tang. The small ones are bright yellow and similar looking to yellow tangs. Apparently, as they reach maturity, their color becomes less bright yellow. I think this tang has another name, but not sure what it is. My questions are how big does it get, how long will a juvenile retain the bright yellow colorand what colors are the adults

Thanks

jaa1456
09/18/2010, 08:02 PM
I think they are just yellow tangs.

JHemdal
09/19/2010, 07:56 AM
No, Zebrasoma flavescens is hardly ever found in the Philippines - its normal range is Hawaii to Japan, but the northern edge of that line. I do recall hearing of some flavescens coming out of the Philippines, but the question was were they simply being re-sold after being collected in Hawaii, or were they strays.

The fish is either a juvenile Acanthurus pyroferus, or more likely a juvenile Acanthurus olivaceous.

Jay Hemdal

jaa1456
09/19/2010, 08:12 AM
I heard of them being released in the philipines to start a new colony(money maker) and from what I have heard also is that they ship them from there regularly now.

JHemdal
09/19/2010, 08:56 AM
Since the OP reported that the fish's color fades as it matures, means it certainly isn't Z. flavescens. Also, the two fish that I mentioned are sold under the trade name of "Philippine yellow tang". Without a picture I can't be 100%, but all signs point to the fish being A. olivaceous....

J

Ethan Music
09/19/2010, 09:14 AM
I know what your talking about the lfs i go to has a big one about 7 inchs atleast looks exactly like a yellow tang but its not nearly as bright almost looks like the color of a banana only thing i could think of not the peel yellow the actual banana next time I go i will get a picture. I thought it was sick maybe not.

jaa1456
09/19/2010, 10:17 AM
Since the OP reported that the fish's color fades as it matures, means it certainly isn't Z. flavescens. Also, the two fish that I mentioned are sold under the trade name of "Philippine yellow tang". Without a picture I can't be 100%, but all signs point to the fish being A. olivaceous....

JIt could be a yellow tang, many that are not feed properly tend to fade out becoming a dull yellow. But one thing is 100% correct with no pic you can't be certain. And I doubt it is an orange shoulder tang as there is no mention of the orange marking. The new thing is actual selling yellow tangs from the phillipines

cindre2000
09/19/2010, 10:30 AM
It should be pretty obvious if it is a 'hybrid' zebrasoma sp. or a acanthurus species just by looking. No one should be able to mistake one for the other. And I lean with Jay on this one, it seems more likely that a orange shoulder or mimic are being marketed as "Philippine yellow tang" to sell more of them.

And I like my Chocolate (Acanthurus pyroferus) better than any Yellow (Zebrasoma flavescens).

Ethan Music
09/19/2010, 10:32 AM
yea if he is looking at the same fish I was its definatly not a orange shoulder. Its basically a yellow tang with a peel yellow all over not the bright yellow your use to. And the one I saw looked pretty healthy and it was a good 7inches swimming around in a 100g clear eyes no skin problems I could see. It was by itself so it might have been sick.

Hope the next time I go down there its still there and i will take a few pics.

jaa1456
09/19/2010, 01:16 PM
The phillipine Yeloows I'm talking about are absolutely Yellow tangs, they look identical to the ones in Hawaii and having owned a few over 16 years I think I know what a yellow tang is. And yes there are some out there being sold as from the phillipines, Just like all emperor angels and purple tangs were once thought to only come from the red sea.

JHemdal
09/19/2010, 05:43 PM
30 years ago, my Ichthyology Professor cautioned me to never try to identify a fish without having it "in hand" - where proper meristic measurements could be taken. So here we are; trying to ID a fish by ONLY a trade name, not even a photo available. I did the best I could do under the circumstances, and I still will say that the fish in question is NOT Zebrasoma flavescens given the information provided. There is simply no way to refute that without additional information~!

J

Texastravis
09/19/2010, 10:35 PM
faded yellow tang? Sounds like a Scopas Tang to me

palmer373
09/19/2010, 11:04 PM
faded yellow tang? Sounds like a Scopas Tang to me

actually i believe its "faded yellow tang? sounds like a picture is needed to me" lol

jaa1456
09/20/2010, 04:40 AM
I believe it is a yellow from my prior knowledge and experience, Also an Orange sholder and a mimic or chocolate tang which ever one you would like to call it, Would not fade but actualy change to a new color.

Pickupman66
09/20/2010, 07:33 AM
Our LFS gets those in very frequently. they are often the same color as the Std yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), but have a more elongated body and a different mouth structure. they look much closer to the body style of the Acanthurus pyroferus the JHemdal mentions. The only thing is that they dont have the marking on the gill cover. http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/images/lemonpeeltang.jpg

Moort82
09/20/2010, 09:27 AM
A lfs near me in England gets mimics in under that name. They are always yellow but do vary a bit. That's the problem with trade names as they come in under yellow tang. I guess they are yellow and a tang but not what you would normally associate with those two words.
I must admit i like them better though

vt_snowman87
09/20/2010, 10:11 AM
how about this?

a bunch of these did arrived in my country (S'pore) as a 'hybrid' between yellow and scopas..

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=144371

Toddrtrex
09/20/2010, 11:29 AM
I believe it is a yellow from my prior knowledge and experience, Also an Orange sholder and a mimic or chocolate tang which ever one you would like to call it, Would not fade but actualy change to a new color.

How can you be so sure with a very brief description and no picture? I would hold off making such a strong call until a picture is shown.

jaa1456
09/20/2010, 12:59 PM
How can you be so sure with a very brief description and no picture? I would hold off making such a strong call until a picture is shown.I said in my experience, that is how i came to my conclusion, But if you READ my earlier post I said you can never be 100% sure unless you see a picture. But I have seen yellow tangs sold as phillipine yellows for almost 5 years now. So that is where I'm getting it from.

Toddrtrex
09/20/2010, 01:00 PM
I said in my experience, that is how i came to my conclusion, But if you READ my earlier post I said you can never be 100% sure unless you see a picture. But I have seen yellow tangs sold as phillipine yellows for almost 5 years now. So that is where I'm getting it from.

I did "READ" your post -- along with most of your other ones too -- and you have made your opinion very clear, even without a picture, but that is par for the course.

jaa1456
09/20/2010, 03:44 PM
I did "READ" your post -- along with most of your other ones too -- and you have made your opinion very clear, even without a picture, but that is par for the course.So we shall wait and see then, like I stated before.

KCombs
09/25/2012, 11:16 AM
Our LFS gets those in very frequently. they are often the same color as the Std yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), but have a more elongated body and a different mouth structure. they look much closer to the body style of the Acanthurus pyroferus the JHemdal mentions. The only thing is that they dont have the marking on the gill cover. http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/images/lemonpeeltang.jpg
reviving a old thread but....

^Exactly ....We just got a fish as pictured but as mentioned w/o the blue eye or gill markings...note we have had the common yellow and mimic....if anything its more mimic ..... any help appreciated...will post pics when he settles

29144u
09/25/2012, 03:34 PM
these are also on indo wholesale lists as mimic tangs (A Pyroferus )

Ostara
09/25/2012, 05:41 PM
^Exactly ....We just got a fish as pictured but as mentioned w/o the blue eye or gill markings...note we have had the common yellow and mimic....if anything its more mimic ..... any help appreciated...will post pics when he settles

Like these?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/208966.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm47/mftak2/2011-09-06_090250.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/ReefPR/MimicTang.jpg

If so, one of my LFS has been getting these in regularly (several at a time every few weeks) since the spring. They're very pretty; solid yellow without the blue markings. They are listed as lemonpeel mimics and I believe that they are Acanthurus pyroferus just like the ones with blue markings. I've been considering picking one up myself and have been curious as to whether it is just a color variation or if they are collected where Centropyge heraldi are also found, and are mimicking them instead of C. flavissima. I know A. pyroferus and C. heraldi both are found in Indonesia, and I'm fairly sure that's where the ones local to me are coming from. I'm not certain if C. flavissima is also found in Indo though.

KCombs
09/25/2012, 06:00 PM
EXACTLY!!!
interesting theory .... perhaps its a regional variation

greg1786
09/25/2012, 08:45 PM
is it possible it could be a mislabled Atlantic blue tang. I've seen them labled carribean tang and yellow tang among other names. as juveniles (before they make their change to blue) they are very pale yellow like the color of a bananna as someone previously described. my friend had one and as it matured n began changing blue it first became even more pale yellow. and they resemble the body of a yellow tang very closely. just a thought, I would love to see a picture tho as I am very interested in this mystery tang. PS -whoever posted the pic of the lemonpeel mimic is that yours? I love them I think they are so cool. I really want one but my tank is only 4ft long and I have been advised by many on rc that is not suitible for a tang. guess ill have to wait for a new tank!!!

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

29144u
09/26/2012, 04:12 AM
mimic tangs mimic both the lemon peel the vrolicki and other angels as juvies. the common name that i know this as is a chocolate tang.

KCombs
09/26/2012, 03:31 PM
is it possible it could be a mislabled Atlantic blue tang. I've seen them labled carribean tang and yellow tang among other names. as juveniles (before they make their change to blue) they are very pale yellow like the color of a bananna as someone previously described. my friend had one and as it matured n began changing blue it first became even more pale yellow. and they resemble the body of a yellow tang very closely. just a thought, I would love to see a picture tho as I am very interested in this mystery tang. PS -whoever posted the pic of the lemonpeel mimic is that yours? I love them I think they are so cool. I really want one but my tank is only 4ft long and I have been advised by many on rc that is not suitible for a tang. guess ill have to wait for a new tank!!!

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

yeah I've seen that also...
I think in this case this one is definetly of a different genus...

SUP
09/26/2012, 06:58 PM
The Phillipine Tang that I know is actually a Mimic Tang. Sometimes they are called a Chocolate Mimic Tang. The one I had was a gorgeous bright yellow as a juvenille that lasted about 6 months. The Tang gradually changed to a drab olive / yellow. The shape of the Mimic Tang is much nicer than a Yellow Tang. Mine was a very peaceful fish and was great in a 75.

Great fish!

SUP

Andreeezie
11/25/2016, 12:09 PM
Actually my store stocks phillippine tangs, they're not just like yellow tangs they're another word for false lemon peel tangs (: