PDA

View Full Version : Missing days of vodka dosing... big problem?

Newreeflady
09/18/2010, 08:25 PM
I've been starting with dosing carbon sources and have been going very slow. Thing is, every now and then I miss a day. I'm not sure if I'm just too forgetful to do this. I was told not to use a peristaltic pump for it, but am leaning toward using it just because I clearly am a space cadet. Thoughts?

Thanks!
-A

HighlandReefer
09/19/2010, 06:50 AM
A properly installed peristaltic pump on a timer to prevent possible overdose would make life easier. We do see overdoses occasionally where the hobbyist's dosing setup fails and overdoses occur. Mechanical equipment does fail occasionally. Humans can make errors when programing timers.

Missing a dose every now and then is not a big deal IMHO. I would not try to make-up for the missed dose by doubling the next dose. Manual dosing may be the safest approach for you.

Are you currently reducing high nitrates or are your nitrates Low?

Newreeflady
09/19/2010, 09:28 AM
A properly installed peristaltic pump on a timer to prevent possible overdose would make life easier. We do see overdoses occasionally where the hobbyist's dosing setup fails and overdoses occur. Mechanical equipment does fail occasionally. Humans can make errors when programing timers.

Missing a dose every now and then is not a big deal IMHO. I would not try to make-up for the missed dose by doubling the next dose. Manual dosing may be the safest approach for you.

Are you currently reducing high nitrates or are your nitrates Low?

Oh, good, I'm glad missing a dose now and again is not too bad. Sometimes I'll remember, but then it's midnight and I'm concerned about lowering O2.

I am presently trying to reduce nitrate. I'm at 5-10ppm as per Salifert. I'm feeding 2x per day with rinsed mysis/plankton mix and sometimes some Formula 2 flake for veggies. I'm not certain this isn't too much food, actually, but mainly am not sure how much/how frequently the Leopard Toby puffer needs to eat (do you know??)

Thanks!

HighlandReefer
09/19/2010, 09:46 AM
Nice fish. I'm not familiar with it. :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+2909&pcatid=2909

From the above link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-36796-Canthigaster-leopa.jpg

The Leopard Toby Puffer is a deepwater reef species that is relatively new to the aquarium trade. This new Toby Puffer may be small, but it's big on color and personality. This exotic dynamo has both stripes on its anterior and spots along its sides, with touches of iridescent blue highlighting the eyes and tail.
Members of the Canthigaster genus are called Sharp-nosed Puffers or Tobies. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.

A 30 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium is suitable. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates, leaving a circular hole as its mark. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef tank. It becomes alarmed when in a net, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The Leopard Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including: squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever-growing teeth.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1-1/2" to 2"; Medium: 2" to 3", Large: 3" to 4"

HighlandReefer
09/19/2010, 09:50 AM
Is this a fish only tank with live rock?

Genetics
09/19/2010, 10:11 AM
Missing a day here and there isn't a big deal. It's when you've missed many of them together that you start to play russian roulette with dosing.

Newreeflady
09/19/2010, 04:53 PM
No, it's a reef with risky fish in it;) :p