PDA

View Full Version : Detritus

SteveCon89
09/19/2010, 10:55 PM
I have an extreme amount of detritus in my tank, is there any reef safe critter that will clean it off the rocks and sand and...well everything? I will probably getting some type of sand sifting goby for the sand, but the rocks are covered.
My tank is not overstocked, 29 gallon biocube with only 2 percs and a bunch of snails, crabs, and a coral banded shrimp; the thing is that it was sitting for like 3 months with no attention and nothing but snails and a few hermits in it.

Water tested great, so I didn't want to stir everything up and have it cycle..tank's runnin good, water's testing good, but there's just too much crap everywhere. Thanks in advance

SwampyBill
09/20/2010, 12:18 AM
Hermits & snails can only do so much. Best way I've found to clean detritus off of rocks is to blast them with a powerhead, & get all that crap floating up into the water column before doing a water change. & continue doing this as part of regular water change. Feeding less adds less detritus to begin with.

fox2589
09/20/2010, 12:25 AM
i agree with swampy...might want to get some flow going in the tank as well.-Drew

mcoomer
09/20/2010, 12:50 AM
I think those two covered it all. Stir it up, suck it out during water changes, and improve/change flow to minimize dead spots.

Mike

SteveCon89
09/21/2010, 08:09 AM
thanks guys

jeff@zina.com
09/21/2010, 08:12 AM
I have an extreme amount of detritus in my tank...

Might want to start with why. Too much food, not enough filtration/circulation, kids feeding Nemo their Flintstone vitamins... Reducing the production goes a long way toward keeping it out.

Jeff