PDA

View Full Version : Algae for tangs

Antwan620
09/20/2010, 06:12 PM
I am setting up a 150g tank and I want to add a couple tangs and some angel fish, I know they all like grazing on algae the whole day. So what are some good types I can have in my DT so they can eat ? I would rather have some natural algae than add nori everyday.
Thanks in advance.

Pnoytoitz
09/20/2010, 06:49 PM
I heard Tangs go crazy with Red Gracilaria.

Antwan620
09/20/2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Pnoytoitz. any others that you know of ? I would like a couple different ones so they have a wider variety of nutrients . thanks

saltysticks
09/20/2010, 10:04 PM
red and brown gracilaria, ulva is a good one, they'll probably eat grape caulerpa but I would be very cautious with it as it can explode. what kind of tangs are you looking to keep?

Antwan620
09/21/2010, 05:42 AM
Not exactly sure on which ones I am going to get but looking at the Powder blue, purple, yellow, and blue tang. I am just going to get 2 out of the four just not sure which 2. But yea I will look into adding those 3, are they easy to maintain and keep alive ?

kradleu
09/21/2010, 08:13 AM
macro will grow like crazy no matter what you do imo, lol. if the tangs dont keep it at bay, then youll want to trim it so it doesnt take over.

Antwan620
09/21/2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks kradleu good to hear. I'm going to get a little bit of each and put some in the dt and some in the fuge. would that be enough for their diet or would I still need to provide nori for them ?

saltysticks
09/21/2010, 04:20 PM
Tangs are constant grazers, so it depends on how much food you actually have available. As far as fish go, I would stay away from powder blues as they tend to be ick magnets. you could go with a magnificent foxface and a tang and have better chances of them getting along.

Antwan620
09/21/2010, 08:52 PM
Yea I know that's why I want to add some like a couple weeks to a couple months to have a good supply in both the cube and dt until I get them. I was thinking the same thing about the powder blue but I just love it's colors. I haven't seen another fish with it's colors that's why I want it. But I'm sure when the time comes I'll probobly go some other route.