PDA

View Full Version : coral waste

Bretts05jeep
09/20/2010, 08:49 PM
do corals produce wast, i know they use up alot of nutrents, but if you have a tank that the rocks are covered in coral do they produce any waste

NoobtoSalt
09/20/2010, 08:51 PM
depending on the corals they can expell all sorts of things. My bubble coral and a few others I have will expell sometimes.

walkthedog
09/20/2010, 09:04 PM
All corals poop. Just like any animal. What is not converted to energy, used to grow, or used to repair itself is going to be .... in short..... poop. Some produce more waste then others but all have to get rid of what is not used. But as far as how much coral poop adds to your bioload..... Not enough to worry about. Not near as much as fish waste.

Bretts05jeep
09/23/2010, 08:31 PM
All corals poop. Just like any animal. What is not converted to energy, used to grow, or used to repair itself is going to be .... in short..... poop. Some produce more waste then others but all have to get rid of what is not used. But as far as how much coral poop adds to your bioload..... Not enough to worry about. Not near as much as fish waste.
that was what i was trying to figure out, because i have added alot of coral in the past few months and was wondering about bioload

mike_cmu04
09/23/2010, 08:52 PM
they dont add to your bioload like fish do they eat waste that is already in the water and break it down more. You could add hundreds of corals and their waste would not affect your bioload.

Tuscaquatics
09/23/2010, 10:43 PM
they dont add to your bioload like fish do they eat waste that is already in the water and break it down more. You could add hundreds of corals and their waste would not affect your bioload.

+1
Most corals are essentially sustainable and use as much as they produce. This is one of the factors that contribute to "Darwin's Paradox" about coral reefs. Google it for interesting reading.