PDA

View Full Version : DIY 70g tank question. please help

johnaaro
09/20/2010, 10:02 PM
I just built a 70g tank 24wx24lx28h with 1/2" glass. After putting up all the panels and taping them, I came back the next morning and noticed that the back side had shifted by such a small amount(tiny). It is noticeable though and there are some bubbles in the joint seal, though they are very tiny as well. everything else looks great. My question is do I need to redo the panel or will it be fine? Also what type of bracing should i do. I haven't decided yet. Thanks for any help.

Aaron

8mpg
09/21/2010, 12:39 AM
I'd redo it... All the work and effort to have something messed up isnt worth it. I had a tiny pinhole in an overflow box in the silicone and it leaked.

uncleof6
09/21/2010, 01:03 AM
First what silicone did you use?

Second tape is not adequate to hold the panels motionless, during cure time-- regardless of what you have read on the internet. Vibration alone can cause the panels to move, and you may not notice it at all. I would say the whole tank is suspect, and for certain the one seam that you noticed move is done-- and no good. You simply don't take risks with aquariums and the potential damage a catastrophic failure will cause.

Read it, understand it, trust it, and start over. This gentleman was reading my mind:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/27814-building-75g-all-glass-tank.html

This tank will be fine with a 12mm x 3 - 4" top and bottom (inside) euro, unless your bottom panel is 15mm or thicker, and your sides are around the bottom. 12mm is not thick enough to be a rimless.

Jim

johnaaro
09/21/2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help. That link was very helpful. After thinking about for a while, I think I will just redo the tank or just the tank front. I don't think it will that bad and I learned a lot through the first go so I know what to do better. As for the glass, the bottom is sealed to the inside of the panels, nothing rest on the bottom. It is also 1/2" thick. As for bracing, I don't see this thick of glass, only being 24"x28" can bow at all. I think I will just fabricate a 3/4" stainless steel frame for the top and let the custom built stand frame the bottom for support. Let me know what you think. This is my first build so all the input you have is much appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I will also be drilling the bulk heads in the top. They will be, I believe be 1" inch bulk heads. I think I might buy the kit from glass-holes.com.

Aaron

uncleof6
09/22/2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the help. That link was very helpful. After thinking about for a while, I think I will just redo the tank or just the tank front. I don't think it will that bad and I learned a lot through the first go so I know what to do better. As for the glass, the bottom is sealed to the inside of the panels, nothing rest on the bottom. It is also 1/2" thick. As for bracing, I don't see this thick of glass, only being 24"x28" can bow at all. I think I will just fabricate a 3/4" stainless steel frame for the top and let the custom built stand frame the bottom for support. Let me know what you think. This is my first build so all the input you have is much appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I will also be drilling the bulk heads in the top. They will be, I believe be 1" inch bulk heads. I think I might buy the kit from glass-holes.com.

Aaron

Well glass bows and then it breaks. Glass that is not thick enough will bow, stress the silicone seams and generally do things you don't want it too. I strongly recommend you follow the advice I gave previously. The euro at the top is required, and unless you do know how to make a correct frame for it, it may or may not work. For DIY do the euros. This is not guess work. It is mathematical.

Jim

johnaaro
09/22/2010, 02:17 AM
If I did euro bracing, can I use acrylic or does it have to be glass? Another question I have is does it have to be glass that is also 1/2" thick or will 1/4"-3/8" tempered work?

tdwright1971
09/22/2010, 03:59 AM
silicone will not adhere to acrylic. 3/8 should work for the bracing, my factory built 75 is 3/8, an old 75 i picked up was 1/2. I looked around for glass and it was cheaper just to go buy a new tank than to buy a sheet of 1/2" glass...

uncleof6
09/22/2010, 04:31 AM
If I did euro bracing, can I use acrylic or does it have to be glass? Another question I have is does it have to be glass that is also 1/2" thick or will 1/4"-3/8" tempered work?

12mm glass.

Jim