PDA

View Full Version : A coral spawning event!!

pandadoc
09/21/2010, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

Yesterday, I happened to look at my tank around 10:30pm and witnessed my first coral spawning in my tank!! :bounce1: I have lunar LED's that are synchronized to the moon cycle, so I sometimes like to watch my tank at night. I saw what appeared like a swarm of gnats in the water column. Upon closer inspection, this swarm was emanating from one coral, my Seriatopora Hystrix or Pink Birdsnest SPS. It lasted for about one hour and increased in intensity for half an hour, then subsided. I tried to get a video with my i-phone, but I think it was too dark to register very well. My chromis were going wild trying to eat the spawn. I'm not sure if it were eggs, sperm, or a combination, but it was quite an experience to watch.

In any event, what a surprise :beer:

See you all at the next meeting,

Greg

boviac
09/21/2010, 11:24 PM
this one already has 15 views!!! Great! You'll find you get much more response and more information than you could every manage on this site. But many seem to like to have our own site in Chico.

mr.iacuessa
09/22/2010, 04:50 PM
i had no idea that we had a chico reef club section on here, this is great... congrats on the spawning coral... im hoping to be able to have coral eventually

boviac
09/23/2010, 12:31 AM
mr.iacuessa - do you live in Chico - or nearby area? Are you aware of the Chico Reef Club?

mr.iacuessa
09/23/2010, 05:06 PM
yes, i do live in chico... i was informed of the chico reef club by the owner of reef connections, but when i looked it up on the internet, it led me here... i just started my saltwater tank on sunday, all i currently have is a domino damsel, a red legged hermit crab, and 2 turbo snails... any advice for a noob?

boviac
09/24/2010, 12:17 AM
Advice lots - you'll find more than you generally care for or need at this site. There is lots of good and bad info on the internet. I recommend joining the club and checking out some of the library books and read them as well. I honestly started with either saltwater for dummies or saltwater for idiots: I forget which one but I know one is funny, entertaining, and educational; the other really plays to stupid people.

The club meets at Mountain Mikes Pizza on Mangrove at 7pm on the second Friday of the month. We used to have www.chicoreefclub.org but there's some issues we've had so were currently located at chicoreefclub.6.forumer.com you might check previous posts here that direct you to that site.

Welcome and I'm glad you found us here. I'll tell Jody (pugman) owner of Reef Connections that you found us and thanks for referring you here.

My advice beyond that - take it slow. make a plan on what you want to add- check to see if the fish can cohabitate? What order should they be added to minimize extreme pecking orders. Add things slowly - budget yourself. There's a lot more but that's a good start.

RG21
09/28/2010, 06:02 PM
i live in chico and am completely unaware of the chico reef club and would really like to utilize this resource........ can someone respond or PM me?

RG21
09/28/2010, 06:03 PM
wow until i looked at the post above me.. thanks boviac

boviac
10/02/2010, 10:36 AM
You're Welcome!

mrbncal
10/09/2010, 12:17 PM
Congrats on teh spawning event! I find something interesting/amazing it seems every time I look into my reef. Sounds like your doing things right in your reef. Wonder if you will get new birdnests on your rock.