PDA

View Full Version : Help me with flow placement! (Pics)

Rskillz
09/21/2010, 03:03 PM
So this is my tank...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Rskillz/DSC00290.jpg

It is a 5 month old 72 gallon bowfront. I have two of the new Koralias, the one on the left is a 1050 gph, the one on the right is a 750 gph. My pump is hooked up to four lockline nozzles, two right and two left. I have one on each side disturbing the surface and two pointed towards corals.

All of my SPS corals are on the right side, mostly on the shelf by the overflow. I'm worried they are not getting enough flow. I also don't have a wavemaker yet but will soon.

Any more advice on the setup of all of this?

Corals on the left are: Pipe organ, GSP, Xenia, Torch, Shrooms, Sebae Nem

Corals in the middle are: Crocea Clam, Galaxy, tons of zoas, pearl bubble

Corals right are Acros, zoas, duncans, torches, hammers, couple of chalice, frogspawn, ricordea, candy cane.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:beer:

Rskillz
09/21/2010, 07:03 PM
No ideas? Leave it the same? Just feels like the Koralias aren't getting enough flow to the middle...

CUNAReefer
09/21/2010, 07:22 PM
No ideas? Leave it the same? Just feels like the Koralias aren't getting enough flow to the middle...

I have an 100g (60"L 18"W 20"H) SPS dominated tank with 5 Koralia Evolutions (3 1050, 2 1400). I cannot keep and LPS in my tank. Check out my pic below:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/CUNAReefer/Tank%20Equipment/07102010_002.jpg

The lower pump is a 1400. The higher is the 1050. I added another 1050 on the left side of the tank since taking this picture, otherwise the positioning is the same on the right side of the tank. Also, I took this pic right after my rock completed cycling.

My advise... Focus on a desired turnover in your tank and purchase the appropriate amount of Koralia Evolution pumps to meet that desired turn over rate. The pumps seem to have a broad flow pattern. Try aiming the pumps at each other and see what happens. You might like the random flow pattern.

Edit: My turnover is around 75 times an hour for pure SPS. Try upping your flow to 30-40 times per hour. Aim the pumps at each other and see if you like the flow. I have a really nice vortex in the middle of my tank where the water just whips around.

Warmest Regards,
James