PDA

View Full Version : What Tank To Put In This Area?

cm11599ps
09/21/2010, 07:55 PM
I've had fish tank for most of my life. I had a 10 gallon at 2 separate times and have had a 55 freshwater tank for almost 13 years now. A few months ago I bought a 29 and a 46 bowfront off craigslist with the intention of making one of them a SW tank. That really never materialized due to space reasons in the house and I ended up giving the 29 to my niece for her birthday and gave the 46 to my brother who is ironically starting his first reef. It's kind of sad how I bought the tank to make a reef and yet he's the one doing it. lol

Anyway, I'm thinking about setting up a reef tank anyway. I just need to remove one very important item, a kegerator. Due to space reasons, it's either the tank or the kegerator. :rolleyes: Here's a shot of where it would go.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/yourbasicdj/n1458490780_30531221_5955245.jpg

Here's a shot where you can see my current tank along with the kegerator. As you can see, both tank swill be on the same wall, albeit different rooms and be about 8' apart.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/yourbasicdj/5493_1191326070822_1458490780_30531.jpg

I already got the OK from my wife to setup a LARGE SW tank (300 gallons or so) in the future and being I have no SW experience now I wanted to start a small reef to get my feet wet.

That space where the kegerator is is about 4' wide, about 54" tall to the bottom of the wine rack. Any advice on what size tank to put there? I would probably be building my own stand and matching canopy if space permits in the same color as our cabinets.

Once that's set I'd like some equipment ideas. I'm not opposed to anything such as sumps, lights etc. The only limitations I want are space if something is or will get too big for my tank. I would like to put some sort of canopy to match the stand though.

dots
09/21/2010, 08:03 PM
You will probably have to give up that whole center section for lighting, venting, and access.

If you can save the cabinet above, use it for storage for all the stuff you will need.

What is on the other side of that wall? The least obtrusive for that space would be to only have the display tank on that side, and have a "wet room" on the other side.

Honesty, your question has a lot of variables based on preferences and direction of the final tank.

If you are just getting into the hobby, take a couple of years to get your feet wet, as most upgrade and change their mind about what they want and what is the "best" tank size. That comes from expereince. So wait until you have it, then you will know what is the best......which will give you something to work up to.....

For me, this is the best part.....designing the look, and you shouldn't leave that to others opinions.

cm11599ps
09/21/2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks.

Getting rid of the entire center section is not an option. It's not something I want to do and something my wife SURELY won't be into. :lol2:

There is one more possible spot where I had originally planned to put a tank but we have a small little table there with some pictures on it. This area is about 47" long but the depth of the entire setup cannot be greater than 16".

MMA
09/21/2010, 08:30 PM
I've been keeping reefs for over 20 years and the one thing I enjoy more is beer so I'd keep the kegerator.

cm11599ps
09/21/2010, 08:43 PM
I've been keeping reefs for over 20 years and the one thing I enjoy more is beer so I'd keep the kegerator.

I understand completely. lol