PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Blue Eye Tang or Anthias, any thoughts??

rdlisby
09/22/2010, 12:28 PM
I have a 180 reef tank with the following inhabitants.

Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Flame Angel
Blue Chromis - Qty2
Wheelers Watchman Goby's - Qty2
Tiger Watchman Goby
Mated Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Also I have various SPS, LPS and softies/Zoas.

I was looking at adding either a Blue Eye Tang(Ctenochaetus binotatus), or a Yellow Eye Kole Tang(Ctenochaetus strigosus).

I also like the Anthias like Lyretail Anthias(Pseudanthias squamipinnis) or the Resplendent Anthias(Pseudanthias pulcherrimus).

And lastly I was looking at a Dragonet (a Green or Yellow Mandarin), and the Banggai Cardinalfish.

I figure I am about at capacity with fish but want to add a few more, any thoughts on those above or any other suggestions???

Robka
09/22/2010, 04:33 PM
I have a 180 reef tank with the following inhabitants.

Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Flame Angel
Blue Chromis - Qty2
Wheelers Watchman Goby's - Qty2
Tiger Watchman Goby
Mated Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Also I have various SPS, LPS and softies/Zoas.

I was looking at adding either a Blue Eye Tang(Ctenochaetus binotatus), or a Yellow Eye Kole Tang(Ctenochaetus strigosus).

I also like the Anthias like Lyretail Anthias(Pseudanthias squamipinnis) or the Resplendent Anthias(Pseudanthias pulcherrimus).

And lastly I was looking at a Dragonet (a Green or Yellow Mandarin), and the Banggai Cardinalfish.

I figure I am about at capacity with fish but want to add a few more, any thoughts on those above or any other suggestions???

Usually the bristle tooth tangs (Ctenochaetus) will b picked on by other tangs unless they r added first or @ the same time. Dragonet would have 2 b spot fed with your mix of fish in order to get enough food (will take a lot of your time)

Good luck,

Robka

Robka
09/22/2010, 04:36 PM
I have a Watanabe Angelfish in my 140 gal reef and she is beautiful. I would recommend purchasing from DiversDen so you have a better chance of getting a good specimen. They have problems with swim bladder due 2 the depths they r collected at.

Kahuna Tuna
09/23/2010, 03:43 PM
Usually the bristle tooth tangs (Ctenochaetus) will b picked on by other tangs unless they r added first

+1

I would bet the yellow will give him a very hard time.

A sea K
09/24/2010, 07:12 AM
I've got close to the same mix in my tank but have 3 wrasses and 3 basslets, (likewise food competitors)and my little mandarin does fine, Quite a bit of real estate in a 180 and I dont see any issues. I'd say add the Mandarin.
As mentioned adding a Tang in with established Tangs is likely to be a problem. Skip the Tang and make up for it with Anthias.

rdlisby
09/24/2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the input, Any thoughts on Lyretail vs Resplendent Anthias, The lytretails are about half the price of the others so maybe that should be my deciding factor.

VacavilleFC3S
09/24/2010, 04:35 PM
i just added 4 small lyretails to my 90G 2 weeks ago, i absolutely love them

A sea K
09/24/2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the input, Any thoughts on Lyretail vs Resplendent Anthias, The lytretails are about half the price of the others so maybe that should be my deciding factor.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally favor the Resplendent, based on a few factors that suit me. They generally have a better temperment and stay smaller as an adult than the Lyretails. That and they are more attractive to me.