PDA

View Full Version : Need help with apple airport extreme and port forwarding

Athena1
09/22/2010, 07:21 PM
Hello all ,

I am a proud new owner of the apex (bought it at MACNA) So far so good until I tried to access it via the Internet . I have the email set up and can access it via my web browser on my network.

I have created an account dyndns

Is there anyone here that has had success with a airport extreme

I have read the newbie guide several times on this topic and can't seem to get my setting to work

Thanks everyone !!!

Athena1
09/23/2010, 07:26 AM
I am using Clear internet service - not sure if this make a difference since its wimax

Thanks everyone !

I did look at Ken's website and saw his settings for the airport extreme - didn't work for me

tikalize
09/25/2010, 05:08 PM
I am tagging along on this thread. I have 1 Apex hardwired to my Extreme & another Apex wireless through an Express. It took me a while to get Apex 2 up wireless & i can send out emails through both now just cant access outside my home & cannot send text to my verizon cell. I have followed every instruction over & over again also Googled & searched forums till my eyes are ready to pop out. I can not find any support on this issue. I cannot be home during the day to call support while in front of the controllers. Sorry for a long post on your thread but Please let me know if you find remedy.

Griffer
09/25/2010, 10:08 PM
I am at work all night and cannot look at my settings, but I can tell you that DYNDNS and the Airport Extreme work just fine. It seems like Apple refers to port forwarding with a different name, something you might check. I do know I had to set up a static IP and associate that with the Apex MAC address. I also couldn't get port 80 to work because of a conflict, so I used port 8080. If no else jumps in first I will post my settings as soon as I can.

RussM
09/26/2010, 09:03 AM
The AirPort Extreme is one of the easiest routers to work with. In Apple parlance, port forwarding is called port mapping.

The Apexes should have unique static IP addresses (DHCP disabled) Leave the http port set at 80 on both.

Let's say they are 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11.

Using the Airport Utility to manage the Extreme, go to Advanced/Port Mapping.

Pick two 4-digit numbers. Let's say you picked 1001 and 1002.

Click the plus sign and create a new service entry for Apex #1:

Public UDP and TCP ports: 1001
IP address: 10.0.0.10
Private UDP and TCP ports: 80

Click Continue. Enter a short but descriptive name: i.e. Apex-Reef. Click Done.

Repeat for the second Apex:

Public UDP and TCP ports: 1002
IP address: 10.0.0.11
Private UDP and TCP ports: 80
Name: Apex-FOWLR

Athena1
09/26/2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Russ,

I will try this ... I have a d-link as well and have been trying on this as well ...
The guys at Neptune are working on helping me out ...

When i type in my hostname it goes to my wimax modem/router ... I think that the setting there are the issue ...

I will let you know

Athena1
09/27/2010, 09:01 AM
Worked on it for a few hours last night ... No luck

Should I use the features of the motorola wimax modem/router .
It has dhcp server ,dynamic dns, as well as port forwarding capabilities... My airport extreme does not give me port mapping option even when I go in as manual set up

Athena1
09/28/2010, 07:26 AM
Looks like Clear Wimax blocks port 80 ....

question: should i use my router or should i use the features of the clear wimax for port forwarding? does it matter ?

tikalize
09/28/2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks Russ for the info. I did get to the port mapping section in the apple utility when i was messing around with it before my post. I will try again when i get some time. Athena, if i figure this out i will post the outcome here.

RussM
09/28/2010, 04:39 PM
Worked on it for a few hours last night ... No luck

Should I use the features of the motorola wimax modem/router .
It has dhcp server ,dynamic dns, as well as port forwarding capabilities... My airport extreme does not give me port mapping option even when I go in as manual set up

If at all possible, you do not want two devices both acting as routers. Since you are stuck using the WiMax router, and Clear does not support putting those devices into a bridge or pass-through mode, your best bet is to put the AirPort Extreme into bridge mode instead (see here for how to (http://theappleblog.com/2010/03/03/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/)). At that point, you'd do the port forwarding, DDNS, DHCP, etc. in the Motorola.

What I am unclear on is what you have/use the DIR855 for.

Athena1
09/28/2010, 06:38 PM
Hello all, Finally got it to work !!!! after a week of messing around .... Clear wimax manages most of the ports - they had to find one that they could open - 443 did the trick

thanks all !!!!!