PDA

View Full Version : Pump fried in tank: Any chemical concerns?

Newreeflady
09/22/2010, 07:23 PM
So, my Sedra 3500 bit the big one today- no apparent cause, and was connected to a surge protector so I'm unsure of what might have gone wrong. Somehow it fried and caused that surge protector to trip, and it would not come back on. Upon removing it from the system, the odor of fried electronics was VERY evident.

So, presently I have carbon & purigen running 24/7. Is there anything (aside from odorous gas) that might have come out of the pump? There is no visible debris.

Thanks!
Angela

mike_cmu04
09/22/2010, 09:05 PM
There should be no bad things however i would do a 20% water change just to be safe.

bertoni
09/22/2010, 10:44 PM
I'd run a PolyFilter, if I could get one, and change out the carbon, and likely add a lot more. If the pump electronics got in contact with the water, that can cause metal contamination.

coralnut99
09/23/2010, 06:58 AM
Take it apart and see what all went wrong. My bet is the impeller swelled up and seized the pump. If that was the case it you shouldn't be able to pull it out. Had that happen with a couple of older Sedras.

Newreeflady
09/23/2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys. I don't have any polyfilter on hand, but just ordered some along with a new skimmer pump. I have prepped some saltwater to do a 20g change tonight, and will prep another batch to do a second change. Of course, while all this is happening, I have no skimmer running (doh!)

Take it apart and see what all went wrong. My bet is the impeller swelled up and seized the pump. If that was the case it you shouldn't be able to pull it out. Had that happen with a couple of older Sedras.

It's not that. The first thing I did was pull the impeller (easy to reach in and do it right in the sump) then try to restart the pump. It tripped the circuit when I tried to restart it the second time- this is when I removed it and smelled the burn.

-A

reefcrazyme
09/23/2010, 09:07 AM
i have a redsea 34g tank and same thing happened to me when one of the return pumps got fried in the tank. i was smelling something burning and i had an electrical surge too that turned off the power from my main box. one of the return pumps even if its only 9watts did a big damage to the inverts in the tank.
not sure if it electrecuted them or some chemical killed them. cleaner shrimp, peppermints, snails, crabs and cucumber all died. lucky me my six line survived.
i took the pump out and i noticed it fried inside because i notice the pump warped outward like a dynamite exploded inside a small thick aluminum can. it caused a small pin hole from that bump warp but it didnt totally crack open. the fumes were bad too.

my xenia & anthelia is still trying to survive from it...barely, a lot of my zoas died, my brown monti with pink rim bleaching that the flesh of it you can see coming off. at least my purple polyp acro is still alive too.

i did some water change just this Monday and will do another one tonight.

tmz
09/23/2010, 09:54 AM
Poly filter and fresh carbon should help as noted. Cuprisorb by seachem is good for metals too.
Using a $10 gfci plug in device on equipment in contact with the water helps too.Saved my tank from a bad power head.

Newreeflady
09/23/2010, 10:31 AM
Poly filter and fresh carbon should help as noted. Cuprisorb by seachem is good for metals too.
Using a $10 gfci plug in device on equipment in contact with the water helps too.Saved my tank from a bad power head.

Well, the only thing with gfci is that it doesn't come back on. I'm considering making one gfci outlet and hooking up everything to gfci except one powerhead- then I will route that cord so that there is no possible chance of water contact. My apartment has been known to have power outages and surges, and the surge protectors save the equipment, but if I had the gfci nothing would come back on and I'm not home all the time. :/

I'm also considering adding a grounding probe... thoughts?

-A

jason2459
09/23/2010, 12:17 PM
I always have made sure I had two gfci outlets on two different circuits then spread the equipement out over both. One breaker goes or or one gfci trips and I still have half of eveything going.

Newreeflady
09/23/2010, 12:25 PM
That sounds ideal. Unfortunately, this place has only 2 circuits, and it would take a 100 ft extension cord to access the second one from the aquarium. Such is life with apartment rentals...

-A

bertoni
09/23/2010, 03:56 PM
I made a bunch of GFCI boxes from parts from Home Depot, and basically put each piece of equipment on its own GFCI. The cost wasn't that bad, and they're highly portable. :)

Newreeflady
09/23/2010, 07:11 PM
I made a bunch of GFCI boxes from parts from Home Depot, and basically put each piece of equipment on its own GFCI. The cost wasn't that bad, and they're highly portable. :)

Yeah, I saw some ready-made portable ones on Amazon. Not cheap, but could grab one. But, heck, if I can make them... how much did it run you on a per outlet basis? How much knowledge of electronics would you say is needed to complete such a project? (I took college-level EE, but did mediocre at best.) Are you water-sealing the units after making them? If so, how?

If I add a grounding probe does that afford me any additional protection if the outlets are already on gcfi's?

Thanks!
Angela

bertoni
09/23/2010, 08:39 PM
I always use a grounding probe in each tank and each sump. They can save your tank, someone's life, or even your house.

My GFIC boxes were about $70 plus a few parts for a 4-port unit, so it's about $18 per port, although a port could take two devices, if you don't mind them both going out. You'll need to buy some electrical wire of the appropriate rating, and I might have used some wire nuts. If you don't know what that means, you should get a friend to help. :)

Here's my breakdown:

51.92 --- 4 Leviton GFCI 15-amp plugs
3.97 ----- 1 4-gang switch and outlet box
3.79 ----- 1 4-gang wall plate
7.97 ----- 1 Volex power cord, 15A, AC (mouser.com)

Plus maybe $15-20 for some wire and maybe some wire nuts. You'll need a pair of wire cutters and a screwdriver or two.

tmz
09/24/2010, 09:46 AM
If you are not inclined to diy a gfci box,these work well for single pieces of equipment or an outlet strip plugged into them:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17696&cat=1116&page=1

They have a red led on light. A quick glance lets you know the circut is live. The
button when pressed kills the circut for manual control.
There are many portable gfcis even extension cords with them out there . They are used extensively in field construction/maintenance work.