PDA

View Full Version : Water changes and water containers

jsdancer
09/22/2010, 07:53 PM
Hey guys I have what may seem to be a few questions and unproven theory about water changes and the containers.

You buy mixed water from an extremely reputable LFS. You have your own gallon jugs with lids. You can't do the WC for several ( 4 to 5 )days.

With containers being closed with no air coming in or out, how fast will the water deteriorate?
How low will oxygen levels be since there is no circulation?
Will Alk drop?
Will Ph drop?
Should this mixed salt water be used?
Is there a way to save it?

Juan

Octoshark
09/22/2010, 08:05 PM
Instead of buying pre-mixed water from your LFS you can always mix your own. Could you afford your own RODI unit? It feels better to know where my water is coming from and how it is made rather than buying it from a LFS. And about the oxygen, you should aerate the water before you put it in your tank if it has been sitting around for awhile (just use an airstone, or a small powerhead if your containers are big enough).

MMA
09/22/2010, 08:09 PM
Interesting question because I didn't know you could buy pre mixed water.

outy
09/22/2010, 08:18 PM
Hey guys I have what may seem to be a few questions and unproven theory about water changes and the containers.

You buy mixed water from an extremely reputable LFS. You have your own gallon jugs with lids. You can't do the WC for several ( 4 to 5 )days.

With containers being closed with no air coming in or out, how fast will the water deteriorate?

NOT AT ALL

How low will oxygen levels be since there is no circulation?

NOT REALLY

Will Alk drop?

NO

Will Ph drop?

NO

Should this mixed salt water be used?

YES

Is there a way to save it?

NOTHING WRONG WITH IT
Juan

julie180
09/22/2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think its a problem if your containers are clean. It won't hurt to aerate it before using.

epleeds
09/23/2010, 10:42 AM
i have been doing this for 5+ years and the saltwater will sit in the jugs for weeks at a time and I have never had an issue.

allsps40
09/23/2010, 11:43 AM
I have wondered the same thing only about the real ocean water sold at pet stores and LFS. I have seen these sit for months or more. I have always made my own sea water.

jsdancer
09/23/2010, 12:18 PM
I usually make my own but the reason for my asking is so that I can narrow down the possibility of my recent sps loses.I thought that maybe this might be a reason.

During the summer months I was gone a lot. My roommate feed tank and provided top off water from my RO. Have yet to install Auto Drip system.

When I did a water change , the salt water was store bought in July/August. I ran no tests. Late Aug. did a test and found my alk went from 8dk to 13dk. My Ca went from a steady 460 to 410. I was using Neo Marine and LFS uses IO. Sept WC will be IO.

Just trying to figure out culprit.

JeF4y
09/23/2010, 12:24 PM
Chances are the LFS leaves it sit for weeks at a time anyway, so no, you have nothing to worry about...

Many people store saltwater for weeks at a time if not longer. I used to make 30 gal at a time and did 10 gal water changes every 2-3 weeks. Just keep a power head on it and it would be golden.

For your stuff in jugs, no sweat at all...

theROYSKIE
09/23/2010, 01:22 PM
just make sure to check all levels of water if u r not mixing it yourself. i have been burned by the lfs before cuz they mix the water at 1.019-1.020 which is too low but it saves them money on salt and then customers constanly have to purchase new life. and the biggest thing in my experience is the ph. i buff with kent super buffer all water, salt or fresh, before introduction into system. ro water if it is pure water will have a ph of 7.0 = not good for the little dudes under your care in the aquarium.

jsdancer
09/23/2010, 09:22 PM
I think that I need to stop being lazy and make up my own water. I would certainly HATE to think that a prestigious store in my Orlando area would do such a thing. Ultimately I am the one who is responsible.
just make sure to check all levels of water if u r not mixing it yourself. i have been burned by the lfs before cuz they mix the water at 1.019-1.020 which is too low but it saves them money on salt and then customers constanly have to purchase new life. and the biggest thing in my experience is the ph. i buff with kent super buffer all water, salt or fresh, before introduction into system. ro water if it is pure water will have a ph of 7.0 = not good for the little dudes under your care in the aquarium.