PDA

View Full Version : Plug Stopped Turning on my Lights

Paradiddle7
09/23/2010, 11:37 AM
So, I have a plug setup to turn on my 54w (4 bulb) T5's via an IceCap 660 ballast. The T5's stopped coming on, but if I unplugged them and plugged them back in, the lights would come on. They just wouldn't ever come on the instant the power bar tried to turn them on. I moved the T5's to a different plug and now they are working fine.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

oldimpala
09/28/2010, 02:54 PM
Perhaps a burned out relay.... They, like most bus bars, run simple mechanical relays to turn lines on and off, and the mechanical switch usually is good for "x" amount of activations until the solenoid wire wears out.

Doesn't matter if it's in your car, AQT, furnace, or anywhere... Relays fail.

If you're handy, they're stock, off the shelf, DigiKey available relays. I can get you a part number; it may require soldering. It's been a long time since I opened a power bar up for someone.

If you're less adventurous, I know someone else in Amherst that may be turning down an AQT in the near future (Namely me) who may be able to hook you up with some spare parts...

You can even upgrade the current load, if you'd like, and wire an outlet individually for super high-current load (I know that's not the case for your T5s)

-Andy

Paradiddle7
09/30/2010, 09:02 AM
I'm comfortable opening it up and soldering.

The plug still turns on, but it just can't turn my lights on.

pfcreed
09/30/2010, 10:53 AM
god i miss buffalo and its knowledgable people.

oldimpala
10/01/2010, 08:04 AM
Will it turn a lower current device on?

It's just the difference between the solenoid clamping well, and perhaps one that has arc'd itself into a point of low current carrying. Try plugging in a MJ1200, or something that draws ~10W.

I'll crack my already opened power bar open, and get some relay part numbers tonight, or tomorrow AM. It's a 20-minute fix; really.

PM me if you need more info, I'll help where I can.

-Andy

PS: PFCreed- C'mon back anytime! It is a great place to live, isn't it? :)