PDA

View Full Version : salt water storage

5ft24
09/23/2010, 11:14 AM
How long can saltwater be stored (in the blue food grade 55 gallon drums) without going "bad"
(They would have the caps in the holes...)
Thanks

baondayko
09/23/2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry for a dumb question, but why do you think it will go bad?

jason2459
09/23/2010, 11:19 AM

Organics in the salt mix like vitamins for those salt brands that include those like Coralife and ReefCrystals. Technically that can go bad with out even adding water as there's moisture in the salt already.

baondayko
09/23/2010, 11:28 AM
I see. I use instant ocean, which does not include vitamins. (supposedly made to mimic natural ocean water)

Another quick question...probably more for the poster...how long are we talking about storing this stuff?

jason2459
09/23/2010, 11:37 AM
Good question on the time it takes for the breakdown. I know I never had issues with reefcrystals until I got a bigger skimmer and started having some of it being stored for up to a month. It made the skimmer go nutso. I switched over to IO and didn't have the problem. Could have been the organics or not?

5ft24
09/23/2010, 11:41 AM
I see. I use instant ocean, which does not include vitamins. (supposedly made to mimic natural ocean water)

Another quick question...probably more for the poster...how long are we talking about storing this stuff?

I'm looking at 2-3 weeks tops...
it's Instant Ocean mixed to 1.026...

5ft24
09/23/2010, 11:42 AM

Not sure how stable it is if it just sits, or like plain water, thought maybe it can grow algae or other slimy stuff...

jason2459
09/23/2010, 11:45 AM
Not sure how stable it is if it just sits, or like plain water, thought maybe it can grow algae or other slimy stuff...

Keep it covered and in an container that doesn't let light through will help minimize any degrading or growths. As far as I know, as long as their's no organic type additives, a salt mix that is sealed in a container can last for ever.

jason2459
09/23/2010, 11:46 AM
I'm looking at 2-3 weeks tops...
it's Instant Ocean mixed to 1.026...

No problems

5ft24
09/23/2010, 11:46 AM
Cool,
Thanks

baondayko
09/23/2010, 01:06 PM
Agree. Just make sure you start recirculating it (powerhead) 24-48 hours prior to using.

jason2459
09/23/2010, 01:14 PM
Agree. Just make sure you start recirculating it (powerhead) 24-48 hours prior to using.

I don't think it needs that long. I usually turn on my mixing pump about 15-30m before I use it for a water change and get the temp up.

DeepSeaBeauti
09/23/2010, 01:16 PM
This is the second post about this question i saw today. I have never really heard of a life limmit on storing mixed water. like jason said as long as its covered should last indefinatly.
+1 on the circulation pump, and also a heater to bring it up to tank temp.

HardCory
09/23/2010, 01:42 PM
I've recently started mixing up 30 gallon batches of saltwater in a black trashcan (used ONLY for saltwater) with a powerhead, heater and a "return" pump with a hose for easy fill ups. And after maybe a week or so, I start to get a build up of a redish/brownish slime. I keep it in a closet so it's not a light issue. Any thoughts? By the by, I just upgraded to a better salt (Seachem's AquaVitro) so maybe I'll have better luck?

jason2459
09/23/2010, 01:45 PM
I've recently started mixing up 30 gallon batches of saltwater in a black trashcan (used ONLY for saltwater) with a powerhead, heater and a "return" pump with a hose for easy fill ups. And after maybe a week or so, I start to get a build up of a redish/brownish slime. I keep it in a closet so it's not a light issue. Any thoughts? By the by, I just upgraded to a better salt (Seachem's AquaVitro) so maybe I'll have better luck?

What were you using before and did it include "Special" Vitamins/minerals/additivies to their mix. Seems from what I've seen most people that get that brownish coating uses a saltmix that contain some type of organics in them.

bertoni
09/23/2010, 04:20 PM
If the salt doesn't have any vitamins in it, it should last indefinitely. If you're going to do a large water change, aerating the water for a few hours before using it might be useful, but I never bothered when I was doing 10-20% changes.

The vitamins in products like Reef Crystals will decay over time, so they might require a bit more time with the pump running, to avoid stagnation, but I've never used such a salt.

Toadally
09/23/2010, 10:54 PM
I use RC and get the brownish looking coating on the walls of the trash can. I mix about 28 gallons at a time and it usually last about a month. The last batch I used had a lower alk of about 7.0 dkh. I wonder if storing it for that long can lower the alkalinity and PH?

wickedfish
09/23/2010, 11:11 PM
Mix up to a week in advance but leave the power head on the whole time, just do, the red sea coral pro is what I use to mix and had no slime or other unwanted stuff just noticed it was a bit cloudy. The DD h2o stuff has been working fine as of May but ouldnt justify the extra$ but its cheaper now so its cool. OOO got off track point is...um did you ever use ny of your stuff , tubing pump in your DT maybe transfered organics, stab in the dark, GL

bertoni
09/24/2010, 03:19 PM
If the water gets hot enough, there might be some precipitation. I don't think that the decay of the vitamins will cause any loss of alkalinity, though.