PDA

View Full Version : My shrimp die - everything else is fine.

mdbrit
09/23/2010, 03:00 PM
I've posted this elsewhere also in the hope to find out what the deal is.
I'm not new to the hobby and have had lots of shrimp for a long time previously. Camel, pepermint and coral banded that would grow pretty large over time.
Now, every time, my shrimp don't last any time at all. Recently I'm redoing my 70g and have cleaned and placed most of my rock and fish into my old 36 with BB. This had almost all new made up water in it, with the old live rock.

Bought two new peppermint shrimps and within days they die. Nothing seems to attack them apart from a couple of bristleworms feeding on the dead bodies.
Fish, hermits, snails, corals, mushrooms, everything else seems to do fine. I've tried coral banded, peps, camel, pistol - all the shrimp just don't last anymore. I use only RO/DI but have even bought a copper test today to test for that (although I have never used medications in my tanks).
Any suggestions really appreciated as I haven't been able to crack this one.

Peter T
09/23/2010, 07:10 PM
I'm assuming since you say you are not new you already checked your NH4/N02/N03/pH levels. Plus your other inverts are fine.

Hmm...can it be your supplier of the shrimp? Did you buy all your shrimp at the same LFS? Also it can be your acclimation process. Did you drip acclimate them or just float and then drop them in?

mdbrit
09/23/2010, 08:10 PM
I'm assuming since you say you are not new you already checked your NH4/N02/N03/pH levels. Plus your other inverts are fine.

Hmm...can it be your supplier of the shrimp? Did you buy all your shrimp at the same LFS? Also it can be your acclimation process. Did you drip acclimate them or just float and then drop them in?

Tested with two kits tonight (getting paranoid).
Zero everything. Ph spot on.
I didn't check the lfs sg, so maybe there's a bit difference. I'm going to drip acclimatize the ones I'm getting tomorrow (from live aquaria.com). Hopefully that will make a difference.
I really like having shrimp, so I've got to figure this out! I even tested for copper tonight just in case.
It's strange as I had so much success with shrimp in the past then boom, zero luck.

VacavilleFC3S
09/23/2010, 08:48 PM
always drip acclimate shrimp IMO they are the most sensitive to salinity changes

N8thanExpl0sion
09/23/2010, 09:55 PM
Just a though.. Have you put any chemicals in the tank. Say... to fight an algae issue or something? I was just wondering if they are eating something that nothing else does, and this is causing them harm.

mdbrit
09/23/2010, 10:38 PM
Just a though.. Have you put any chemicals in the tank. Say... to fight an algae issue or something? I was just wondering if they are eating something that nothing else does, and this is causing them harm.

Nope, never used any chemicals. I'm thinking I got lucky in the past with acclimatizing shrimp. Funny thing though was that I had a pistol and goby pair for a good couple of months that seemed to be doing well, then one day, silence,,,no more snapping...

I'll drip the shrimp slowly that I'm getting tomorrow and see what happens (and cross my fingers big time).

mdbrit
09/23/2010, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=N8thanExpl0sion;17695037]Just a though.. Have you put any chemicals in the tank. Say... to fight an algae issue or something? I was just wondering if they are eating something that nothing else does, and this is causing them harm.[/

There aren't any worms that would kill shrimp are there?

Peter T
09/24/2010, 03:33 AM
If it is SG and pH differences, a drip acclimation should definitely help. I once did a test of drip acclimation vs just float and drop on a batch of 20 nassarius snails. Ten I dripped; ten I floated and dropped. In the tank I floated and dropped, about 4 of them were dead within 2 days; zero in the tank that I dripped them. Makes a BIG difference. The tanks' parameters were almost all the same (about 10 points nitrate difference).

I never heard of any worms that only prey on shrimp. That is not to say they don't exist, I just don't think it is likely to be in marine aquariums if they do. Fireworms from my experience are opportunistic feeders. They would most likely go after your polyps and mushrooms before they go for shrimp unless they are already dead or near death (less work). If you drip acclimate them and they still die, I would look into N8thanExpl0sion's suggestion and check to see if it is something that only your shrimp are eating.

Good luck with your shrimp tomorrow ;)

mdbrit
09/24/2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks - drip system all ready to go...different supplier, long acclimatization....it's GOT to work!
My clowns are hosting in a big mushroom this morning. They're certainly looking fat and happy.

mdbrit
09/24/2010, 09:47 PM
So after an hours drip, everything looks ok so far. The two peppermints I received looked a little worse for wear after their trip, maybe as it was so hot today, but they perked up after bobbing in the tank for a bit. After the drip, they were looking a little rough again, but later on they were hopping after the food in the tank. Coral banded dude is strutting around like he owns the place already.

I hope these guys make it long term this time!

mdbrit
09/24/2010, 09:50 PM
So after an hours drip, everything looks ok so far. The two peppermints I received looked a little worse for wear after their trip, maybe as it was so hot today, but they perked up after bobbing in the tank for a bit. After the drip, they were looking a little rough again, but later on they were hopping after the food in the tank. Coral banded dude is strutting around like he owns the place already.

I hope these guys make it long term this time!