PDA

View Full Version : Will 2 pairs of Maroon Clowns work in 300

lhm nole
09/23/2010, 03:43 PM
Have 300 fowlr tank with mostly tangs and a few angels and already have a pair or gsm's in the tank sold my 55 thaty houses another pair but guy that bought tank already has clowns so was thinking about putting in the 300 with the other pair, tank has 600 lbs live rock plenty of caves and hiding spots will this work or is it a pipe dream? Anyone?

squaretankguy08
09/23/2010, 03:55 PM
I wouldnt recommed it personally if your maroons are anything like mine. Unless you have an anemone for each pair on the ends to keep them gaurding their homes on opposite ends, which would certainly make it more possible w/o trouble

elegance coral
09/23/2010, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't do it.

mr.iacuessa
09/23/2010, 05:37 PM
from what ive read about them, i wouldnt do it, i would just try not to stess out any of the fish as much as possible... maybe they could be in your refugium for a while depending on the size of it

davocean
09/23/2010, 05:53 PM
You would be lucky to have 2 passive (for clowns) species pairs make it, but 2 pairs of maroons(one of most aggro) no way would I even try.

adam1980
09/30/2010, 05:54 PM
Hey man i have two yellow stripe maroons myself and about a year ago i stuck a mated pair of perculas in my 100 gallon. I only got one out they killed the other one in the matter of of a minute. They probally are not going to have it.

sedor
09/30/2010, 06:01 PM
If your going attempt multiple pairs of clowns why not try 2 different breeds. Not only will it increase your chances of success, but give you something different to look at as well. If its going to work, a tank the size of yours is going to be your best bet.

bigreentractor
10/01/2010, 05:09 AM
i would also recommend against it based off of the other forums on here asking the same question. If you get it to work I would love to know how so I can try!

jon1985
10/01/2010, 05:47 AM
my 2.5" maroons harrass my 4" blue throat trigger st feeding time so I cant imagine they would get along well with another pair of clowns, let alone maroons.

Quickcord
10/01/2010, 07:42 AM
I would advise against putting multiple pairs of maroons in the same tank, although it has been done. I helped set up an 8ft diameter horse trough at my LFS. It is about 600 gals. and also houses 20+ GBTAs. We are using it as a grow out system for corals. We also stock it with fish that we rescue from people that can't keep their tanks or have compatability issues with fish. We have 2 pairs of GSMs in this tank that were added a few months apart.

There has never been any fighting between the two pairs, but they also reside on opposite ends of the tank. The smaller female, 4.5 inches, actually did the submission dance to the larger female who is 5.5 inches.

Quickcord

lhm nole
10/01/2010, 08:45 AM
Did not try it found the other pair a new home

davocean
10/01/2010, 09:00 AM
That is the safest bet.
I would not say it's totally impossible, but it's rare, and it can get ugly fast if it doesn't work out.
I only know one guy that is keeping 2 pairs successfully long term, percs and pink's, but his tank is so loaded w/ anthias I'm not sure if they don't see each other or just confused w/ all the fish movement!