PDA

View Full Version : Cave basslet or swissguard basslet

MikeandNicole
09/23/2010, 05:36 PM
So I was in my local LFS today and they had both fish, just got them in. They are both small, about an inch to an inch and a half and look great. I am going to vegas this weekend so I did not purchase one today and will revisit the purchase when I get back after the weekend.

I have a 30g tank with a cover mh lighting with a pair of clowns a a mystery wrasse. Would the basslets be compatible with the mystery wrasse? Also the tank will be broken down into a 45 in 10 months when we move. Also which one would you purchase? Prices are about sixty dollars different so that is not really an issue.

albano
09/23/2010, 05:53 PM
I think the main problem might be, that they will hide most of the time, in the rockwork! Nice fish, but you'll wait a long time to see them!

LemonLemon
09/23/2010, 08:36 PM
i respectfully disagree with the comment above.

yes they will hide alot initially, but given time, they will be very outgoing and even swim under the MH.

that is the case with my L. multilineatum and L. swalesi. it took 2 weeks. and 2 weeks isn't a long time.

my main concern would be the mystery. fierce fish.

MikeandNicole
09/23/2010, 09:19 PM
This one has been pretty peaceful with tank mates in the past (dwarf angels, clowns, mandarins,) but I am worried because they are sort of a similar shape. I have the weekend to think about it. I have room in my 45g but no cover and don't really want to put one on. The tank is very peaceful (pair of clowns, sunburst anthia, assesor basslet, cleaner goby, and a pair of mandarins) but if that basslet grew up and ate her cleaner goby my wife would flip. Decisions decisions.

albano
09/23/2010, 09:23 PM
i respectfully disagree with the comment above.
yes they will hide alot initially, but given time, they will be very outgoing and even swim under the MH.
that is the case with my L. multilineatum and L. swalesi. it took 2 weeks. and 2 weeks isn't a long time.
my main concern would be the mystery. fierce fish.
Well, for the record...I absolutely respect your disagreeing with me...
...I had a Swalesi in a 130g tank with about 10 very active fish (including 3 wrasses), and it was months before he was 'front and center'. That being said, every fish and every tank is different.
As for the Mystery wrasse, I have a large one in a 450g tank, with over 60 fish, and I've never seen him bother anyone! Wish I could say the same about that cute little 6 line wrasse (SOB)!

cwoods8
09/23/2010, 09:59 PM
It will not eat the cleaner goby.....they are smart enough to know the gobie's role. Also those two species are the more peaceful amongst the basslets, more so of the mowbrayi.
Oh and would not trust the mystery......they share the same niche, the basslet has no chance.

lirenwang
09/24/2010, 01:28 AM
It will not eat the cleaner goby.....they are smart enough to know the gobie's role. Also those two species are the more peaceful amongst the basslets, more so of the mowbrayi.
Oh and would not trust the mystery......they share the same niche, the basslet has no chance.

I think cwoods8 is right. Mystery wrasse is really a bad fish for a peaceful tank.It will attract most small fish like basslet :(
But if you really want to keep them in one tank,it would be better to change a large tank. Sometimes ago,I buy a mystery wrasse,it attract my goby .

MikeandNicole
09/24/2010, 08:52 AM
I am in agreement that the 30g with the mystery is not an option. The 45g has no cover, is this just a recipe for disaster adding the fish? I know everything outside of a seahorse can jump but are the chances higher for the basslet?

BTW thank you guys very much for the responses.