PDA

View Full Version : which skimmer would you use

Paaty
09/23/2010, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I just picked up bk mini 180 gen 2, i got a good deal on a used one and just put it in my sump and removed my swc 250. my setup is a 150g display sps dominated with a 40g sump.

the swc 250 has done a pretty good job for me over the last couple of years, but i wanted to try something new. i have always heard good things about bk so when the opportunity came up i jumped on it.

if you had the choice which one would you use with my setup.

pat

Reef obcession
09/24/2010, 05:18 AM
bk is top of the line

tom obrecht
09/24/2010, 05:33 AM
I say give the BK a try and decide what you like better. Never tried SWC brand but have used BK and a number of others. BK's are good but from what I have heard lately their service lately has dropped to almost nothing if you have issues. Not trying to rain on your parade just giving you a heads up. BK is as well as made as any skimmer on the market.

A sea K
09/24/2010, 06:13 AM
No experience with the BK but I've had 2 different swc skimmers, one thing for sure, the SWC 250 is a lot of skimmer for a 150.
Otherwise I'm with tom obrecht, youve already got the BK so get it set-up and let the results make the decision.

Paaty
09/24/2010, 08:21 AM
update, after only 12 hours the bk has started collecting skimate. although, i find it a little to wet (light green) so i just dialed it down a little.

so far i have to say I like the fact that it is almost dead silent, not that the swc made a lot of noise but the bk is quieter.

I will keep everyone posted.

Pat