PDA

View Full Version : fragging within the display tank?

Giglamesh
09/24/2010, 12:09 AM
i have some zoa frags that are just begining to grow onto the bottom of the tank as the tank is a bare bottom i am wondering if it is safe to frag underwater?
slice it then peel it off the glass

bmkindig
09/24/2010, 06:54 AM
i my experance it can be done but not recomended zoathiads release toxins into the water when there cut,so i try to do it out of the water,i have a plastic dish tub that i fill and use so a fragging stationand i can get like 20 frags started and set for like an hour then i can put them in my sump/frag rack.
if you do frag inside the display i would be prepared to do a water change and change out the carbon to be safe

ros_sco
09/24/2010, 09:04 AM
My tank is SPS dominated and I have trimmed zoanthids that are encroaching on other corals many times and never had a problem.

JimmyK
09/24/2010, 06:17 PM
I have fragged ripped out many zoa, polyps, gsp without any issues. Looks like your tanl is 10 gal so it would be easy to have a few gallons ready and do a wc just to be safe.

Giglamesh
09/24/2010, 06:25 PM
the one they are in is a 26 gal cube. i just didnt want them growing on the bottom if there was no safe wat to remove them