PDA

View Full Version : Lanthanum Chloride dosing

teebs
09/24/2010, 08:41 AM
I just started dosing lanthanum cholride in my tank. I am using the Seaklear Aquaria PO4 remover which according the seaklear has been tested for toxicity in aquariums.

I mix 5ml into 1L of DI water and I will be dripping the solution into the 5 micron filter sock at my sump. It will be a slow drip and will take approx 5 days to complete dripping the 1L solution.

According to the information I have from Seaklear, 5ml will reduce approx 3ppm of PO4 in 100 gallons of water.

The question I have is whether my LaCL3 dosing is too slow to reduce the PO4 in my tank as I don't see the water in the filter sock turning cloudy at all with this drip rate. However, when I dosed 100ml at once, the water turned cloudy immediately.

HighlandReefer
09/24/2010, 12:41 PM
These articles provides further details regarding dosing lanthanum chloride. The reason you most likely see the precipitation with larger doses at one time is due to the total amount of precipitation that occurs due to the amount applied at one time. Whether amount you dose exceeds the phosphate impute will have to be determined by testing. If your dosing does not exceed phosphate input from foods, you will have to increase the dose.

Lanthanum Chloride Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1333212&highlight=lanthanum+chloride

Lanthanum Chloride - Aquality Symposium
1st International Symposium of Water Quality & Treatment in Zoos & Aquaria
http://www.aqualitysymposium.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=641009192b567cfd6a779ce4041f98b0

Lanthanum chloride or lanthanum carboxylate for orthophosphate
removal in seawater aquarium - a feasibility study
YING ZHANG; KAR SONG WONG
http://aalso.org/2009presentations/ZhangWongOrthophosphateRemovalPaper.pdf

tmz
09/24/2010, 01:46 PM
I think you'll have to tune the rate of dose to your tanks PO4 production /infusion and your patience. A 5 micron sock should filter it well. You could dose more but precipitation of lanthanum phosphate in large amounts might quickly clog a 5 micron sock. Whatever small amount lanthanum chloride you dose will disassociate to lanthanum and chloride and the lanthanum will bind PO4 species. It may be such a small amount at one time that the cloudiness from the precipitant isn't visible.

bertoni
09/24/2010, 03:42 PM
If you're dosing the lanthanum chloride, it's going to precipitate phosphate, if there's any phosphate in the system. I wouldn't worry about that. I agree it's more of a patience issue. :)

Matt_Wandell
09/24/2010, 08:30 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I really see no reason for the vast majority of hobbyists to use lanthanum chloride. GFO has so many less problems associated with it and so many more benefits. If cost is an issue, you can regenerate your GFO.

teebs
09/24/2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

My PO4 right now fluctuates between 0.06ppm to 0.2ppm and I've been using GFO over the last 2 months to bring my PO4 down from 0.6ppm to the current levels. I believe there is still a lot of PO4 locked up in my live rocks as I do minimal feeding now and my PO4 levels drop to around 0.06ppm when I change out my GFO and increase to 0.1ppm+ within 3 days. I'm using the Hanna HI 736 to measure my PO4 levels.

Here in Singapore, I'm able to get 1L of Rowaphos at about USD55 but even using 500ml of Rowaphos in my FR, my PO4 will increase within a few days. I've managed to get some caustic soda recently so I'm regenerating about 1L of Rowaphos now.

The main reason for using Lanthanum Chloride is basically to reduce the PO4 levels in my tank more quickly that what I've been able to achieve using GFO.

tmz
09/25/2010, 12:37 PM
I use gfo and regenrate it along with vodkla/vinegar dosing. I also use a small amount of lanthanum infrequently( once or twice a month ) to tweak PO4 down.
Gfo regenration is relatively esy and effective in my experience.

bertoni
09/25/2010, 04:40 PM
Just as a note of warning, corals sometimes react badly to sudden drops in the phosphate level. I'd watch carefully for signs of trouble, and dose the lanthanum chloride in small amounts, if there are any stony corals in the system.

saintperez
10/13/2014, 08:33 AM
I'm about to start dosing LC. Does anyone know where I can get the 10 micron bags? Seems like FilterBag.com minimum quantity is 25?

bertoni
10/13/2014, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I don't use filter bags. Maybe someone else can comment.

saintperez
10/13/2014, 04:16 PM
Actually found them on amazon and the IV bag with drip regulator. Couldn't find those locally either.