PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RO direct feed ATO

ronkhoo
09/24/2010, 01:04 PM
I have been using my RO (with AutoShutoffValve) direct feed to Ken's float valve ATO for 12 years successfully.

The rubber seal on the origanal Kent marine float valve is getting old and need replacing. So I am search on this forum for the current trend on ATO.

The current view seems to stay away from RO direct feed. Rather, a secondary RO sump is prefered for safty reason. Timer is also frequently mentioned.

I enjoy automatic system. Especially wen I am away for a week or two. I want a system with different water detection methods and coupled fail-safe. I have given some thought about an approach for your comment. The most critical point is the main soleniod valve:

1. Primary: The busy compoentent in the system. Float valve to let fresh water into the sump. (Float/rubber seal)

2. Secondary. High-point float swicth to turn off RO-output using NC soleniod. (Float, electronic, NPT) This will be engaged if the flat valve has failed; or the Soleniod itself has failed.

3. Third. Timer to supply power to the above soleniod so that the duty cycle of soleniod is limited daily. Meaning ATO is only active, for example, 30 minutes, a day. (Electronic/Soleniod mechcanical seal).

4. Finally, a leak detector with latched soleniod to cut-off RO-output if it detect water at the floor. (Electronic/Soleniod mechcanical seal) this will be engaged if stage 2 and 3 failed.

Note:

Step 2, 3 and 4 must have a indication of operation so the user will know if any of the fail-safe equipment is engaged.

Step 1,2 and 3 can be done DIY or you can jusy buy a Level-Loc.$99 Step 4 is a battery powered cut-off solneiod called Leak Controller.$40

der_wille_zur_macht
09/24/2010, 01:31 PM
For a system fed directly from the RO unit, the way you're describing it is (IMHO) the best reasonable approach, and should be pretty much bullet proof. You'd need multiple components to fail for water to run uncontrollably into the system.

And I think your first note should be expanded - all components should be periodically checked for correct operation. Otherwise you eliminate your safety net. If the float valve fails, but you don't notice it for three months because the electronic float switch has been cutting the solenoid on/off and controlling water level, your system is no longer as safe.

108reefer
09/24/2010, 02:52 PM
I have been troubled trying to figure out a good quality system with fail-safes myself - I would love to see a parts list on this!

streak
09/24/2010, 02:58 PM
depends on how much you want to spend but is this what your looking for?? It supposedly less stressful on your RO unit if you set it up the proper way...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/level-loc-auto-top-off-unit-for-ro-systems.html

whoops read to fast.. skipped the part about lvl lock.. but yeah...