PDA

View Full Version : Programming APEX For Protein Skimmer Neck Cleaner

jpatrician
09/24/2010, 09:40 PM
Could some one please tell me the correct code to have the neck cleaner come on for 1 minute intervals 4 times a day?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Baldwin
09/24/2010, 09:46 PM
what neck cleaner did you get?

specop504
09/24/2010, 09:47 PM
What about:

Set Off
OSC 000:00/001:00/359:00 Then Off

jpatrician
09/24/2010, 09:54 PM
what neck cleaner did you get?

The Swabbie

jpatrician
09/24/2010, 09:55 PM
What about:

Set Off
OSC 000:00/001:00/359:00 Then Off

Thanks a million! I'll give it a try.

jpatrician
09/24/2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, not sure what is going on.

I tried this:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/359:00 Then OFF

. . .but the neck cleaner turns on and keeps going.

For the heck of it, I did another test with the following:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/1:00 Then OFF

. . .and this works as programmed 1min on and 1min off.

Any clue why the first isn't working as it should?

Hawkdl2
09/24/2010, 11:54 PM
The OSC command works as:

OSC on/off/on then OFF

or,

OSC off/on/off Then ON

Change your command line to OSC 000/001:00/359:00 then ON and it should work.

jpatrician
09/25/2010, 12:05 AM
The OSC command works as:

OSC on/off/on then OFF

or,

OSC off/on/off Then ON

Change your command line to OSC 000/001:00/359:00 then ON and it should work.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm new to the manual programming. That did the trick!

specop504
09/25/2010, 05:43 AM
Yes, my mistake. I copied my code, but only changed the times.

Hawkdl2
09/25/2010, 12:50 PM
No problem. All of this, and more, is explained very well in Alan's unofficial Apex user manual stickied at the top of the forum.

Gordonious
09/26/2010, 09:49 PM
jpatrician, how do you like the Swabbie neck cleaner? I've never seen those before and was recently looking at one which I believe cost $1000! This looks much more reasonable, but does it work well?

jpatrician
09/26/2010, 10:05 PM
jpatrician, how do you like the Swabbie neck cleaner? I've never seen those before and was recently looking at one which I believe cost $1000! This looks much more reasonable, but does it work well?

I love it so far. It works flawlessly and compared to the prices on others out there (as you have seen), you can't beat it! I't might not be as 'polished' as some of those more expensive models, but I am looking for the functionality and not so much the aesthetics.

Gordonious
09/27/2010, 07:15 AM
Oh, maybe it's not for me then. I would only one the prettiest tools out there to shovel fish **** with. lol

Thanks for responding jpatrician

jpatrician
09/27/2010, 07:49 AM
Oh, maybe it's not for me then. I would only one the prettiest tools out there to shovel fish **** with. lol

Thanks for responding jpatrician

LOL! Exactly! :)

Pran
09/27/2010, 08:13 AM
jpatrician

after using the neck cleaner...how often do you have to clean the skimmer?

or you dont need to clean it at all?

also how is the performance...I heard mixed reviews saying that it kills the bubbles so the performance is not that good either

thanks

Pran

jpatrician
09/27/2010, 10:42 AM
jpatrician

after using the neck cleaner...how often do you have to clean the skimmer?

or you dont need to clean it at all?

also how is the performance...I heard mixed reviews saying that it kills the bubbles so the performance is not that good either

thanks

Pran

Pran,

At the moment I am still taking the cup out once a week to empty it. I don't have a waste collector hooked up to the drain line right now because I have limited space. The inside of the neck stays spotless, so if you have a waste collector hooked up, you really wouldn't need to take out the cup very often. The only build up I get that neck cleaners without the fancy spray bars don't get is the outside top of the neck (if that makes sense).

Performance wise, I am very impressed. I was initially worried that this would kill the bubble tower, but surprisingly it has no effect on the bubbles at all (running or still)! Because this keeps the neck so clean, I have noticed I am getting more skimmate in a shorter amount of time than usual.

Hope this helps.

thirst
09/27/2010, 12:29 PM
so how does the neck cleaner work? It scraps off the inside of the neck so the bubbles can carry it into the collection cup? If you are okay with manually cleaning the neck every time you empty out the skimmer, would it be comparable to having a neck cleaner? Is this a luxury, or is there an actual performance difference?

GlassReef
09/27/2010, 12:31 PM
Jason, hope you don't mind - I thought that since there are questions about the Swabbie, I'd offer my review for reference: Swabbie Review (http://www.glassreef.com/review_swabbie.htm)

jpatrician
09/27/2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks GlassReef. I was about to suggest starting a thread in a more appropriate forum.

Pran
09/29/2010, 01:09 PM
Pran,

At the moment I am still taking the cup out once a week to empty it. I don't have a waste collector hooked up to the drain line right now because I have limited space. The inside of the neck stays spotless, so if you have a waste collector hooked up, you really wouldn't need to take out the cup very often. The only build up I get that neck cleaners without the fancy spray bars don't get is the outside top of the neck (if that makes sense).

Performance wise, I am very impressed. I was initially worried that this would kill the bubble tower, but surprisingly it has no effect on the bubbles at all (running or still)! Because this keeps the neck so clean, I have noticed I am getting more skimmate in a shorter amount of time than usual.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

yes I understand what you are saying, a quick question...I do have drain, so in that case does it mean I dont need to ever take the collection cup out, like at least for a month.

So if the outer neck is dirty, it does not affect the skimmate right?

I talked wtih Justin and I am just waiting for them to make some in white colour so I can buy one for alpha cone 200 skimmer.

thanks again

Pran

jpatrician
09/29/2010, 04:55 PM
The directions I got from Justin were to clean the lid and squeegee once a month.

You are right about the outside of the neck, it won't effect your skimmate.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM, I don't want to disrupt the Neptune forum any more than we have.

Jason

nornicle
12/08/2015, 04:32 AM
Hi all sorry for thread necromancy, but new to programming:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 00:00/005:00/060:00 Then ON

This should set my swabbie to turn on for 5 minutes every 60 minutes?

Also once I set up my breakout box something along the lines of:

If <whatever the pressure switch is onbox>= ON Then OFF

slief
12/08/2015, 11:10 AM
Hi all sorry for thread necromancy, but new to programming:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 00:00/005:00/060:00 Then ON

This should set my swabbie to turn on for 5 minutes every 60 minutes?

Also once I set up my breakout box something along the lines of:

If <whatever the pressure switch is onbox>= ON Then OFF

5 minutes every 60 minutes is WAY WAY too much and will likely lead to premature failure of your SCH. I don't run a swabbie but I do run a neck cleaner. Mine is an Aquadriver SkimClean which turns at a faster speed and I run mine once a day for only 15 seconds and my neck is always spotless. In 15 seconds, the wiper spins several full revolutions. With the Avast Swabbie, 45 seconds once a day should be plenty on a smaller skimmer. That said, I don't know what you are trying to do with the breakout box but you would need to reference a switch and and unless you are using a virtual outlet for what ever switch you are using, the switches are Open or Closed. Not ON or OFF. As such your Switch Program would look something like:
If Sw5 OPEN Then OFF
If Sw5 CLOSED Then ON

That logic would depend on whether the switch is normally open or normally closed.

As for the wiper Swabbie, I would try this and see how that works as far as keeping your neck clean. I suspect once a day for 45 seconds will be plenty. If not, change it to come on twice a day.

Fallback OFF
OSC 720:00/000:45/719:15 Then ON

nornicle
12/08/2015, 02:33 PM
Awesome, yeh for the Switch I did this:

Fallback off
Set off
If sw1 closed then on

This keeps the skimmer on until the collector is full. Simple for me anyway.

I've updated the cleaner to run for two minutes every 360 minutes as so:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/002:00/360:00 Then ON

nornicle
12/08/2015, 02:34 PM
The other awesome thing is I saw your post and thought 'ugh gonna have to let it run all day til I get home to fix' till I realised I can just update it though fusion on the bus.. Easy done!

Ginu
12/08/2015, 03:34 PM
I have the swabbie and avast zeovit reactor both working on the same apex outlet:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 00:00 to 00:01 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 12:01 Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

Don't need the swabbie to run too much as it will just collapse the head and also gunk will end up at the bottom of the skimmer (as it collects to the squeegee and rod going in the swabbie compartment).

nornicle
12/08/2015, 04:10 PM
I have the swabbie and avast zeovit reactor both working on the same apex outlet:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 00:00 to 00:01 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 12:01 Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

Don't need the swabbie to run too much as it will just collapse the head and also gunk will end up at the bottom of the skimmer (as it collects to the squeegee and rod going in the swabbie compartment).

thanks, what does the defer do?

so you only run it for 2 minutes per day. good idea. I will do that too.

slief
12/08/2015, 10:07 PM
Awesome, yeh for the Switch I did this:

Fallback off
Set off
If sw1 closed then on

This keeps the skimmer on until the collector is full. Simple for me anyway.

I've updated the cleaner to run for two minutes every 360 minutes as so:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/002:00/360:00 Then ON

So you are going to run it for 2 minutes every 6 hours??? That is just silly. Like I said in my first post, once or twice a day at most for about a minute should be all you need. From years worth of experience using very efficient skimmers, once a day is really all that's needed unless you are skimming really dry in which case, twice a day is plenty and 60 seconds should be all you need with a swabbie. If it were me, I'd go for 45 seconds once a day. Like I said, my Aqua Driver SCH runs once a day for 15 seconds and that is plenty and I've been doing it that way for nearly 5 years now. My neck is always clean and debris free and I never have stuff that winds up in the bottom of my skimmer. Sometimes, less is more. Especially if you want your swabbie to last.

nornicle
12/09/2015, 12:06 AM
So you are going to run it for 2 minutes every 6 hours??? That is just silly. Like I said in my first post, once or twice a day at most for about a minute should be all you need. From years worth of experience using very efficient skimmers, once a day is really all that's needed unless you are skimming really dry in which case, twice a day is plenty and 60 seconds should be all you need with a swabbie. If it were me, I'd go for 45 seconds once a day. Like I said, my Aqua Driver SCH runs once a day for 15 seconds and that is plenty and I've been doing it that way for nearly 5 years now. My neck is always clean and debris free and I never have stuff that winds up in the bottom of my skimmer. Sometimes, less is more. Especially if you want your swabbie to last.

Yep updated to 720 after thinking about it some more and reducing to a minute!

slief
12/09/2015, 01:53 AM
Yep updated to 720 after thinking about it some more and reducing to a minute!

That's good. You can always increase if you need to and you now know how to do it. At least this way you will know if the minimum is all that's needed.

victorcan
03/03/2016, 01:05 AM
just got my swabbie and this code saved me hours of fiddling, thankyou :)