PDA

View Full Version : carbon dosing and high alk issues

chris88
09/25/2010, 03:39 PM
Why is it that high alk (10dkh-11dkh) and carbon dosing results in certain sps lighting up and not others? Some corals are never affected and others will go almost light brown or dull when my alk is 10dkh and I am dosing vinegar. The growth rate in the pale sps is still fast, great polyp extension but dull color. I am going to try to bring my alk back down but I am wondering if anyone knows why this happens and what is a more optimal alk range. Maybe 7dkh>?

bertoni
09/25/2010, 05:08 PM
No one knows, would be the honest answer, IMO. Each coral is an individual, and there are a lot of species involved, too. In addition, the conditions in our tanks might vary quite a bit in terms of actual nutrients levels and trace elements (below our measurement limits). I didn't know that people thought that alkalinity affected coloration. Some people seem to have problems with corals dying at higher alkalinity levels.

lfbmike
09/25/2010, 05:37 PM
my sps are pale but coloring up after starting to dose vodka. my alk runs around 11-12dkh. i have a wild colony acro that im trying to color up. when my alk reached 15-16dkh then it started to show burnt tips but lately growth is steadily increasing. colors could be better but im trying to be patient and keep my levels steady at 450cal and 11.5dkh for now. i have birdsnest, acros, millies, caps, digitata and they are doing fine at my current levels plus carbon dosing. hope this helps some.

chris88
09/25/2010, 06:28 PM
I would say that 80% of my sps do not change color from the carbon high alk combo but there are always a couple that go pale but still healthy and growing. I am going to try to bring it down to 7.5-8dkh and see what happens. I just find it weird that its only when carbon and high alk are together. When i run high alk without the carbon color doesnt change.

zsuzsu21
09/26/2010, 11:25 AM
IME, i'm running vinegar/kalk for months and did not seem to get the coloration i wanted, though the nutrient levels did drop. only when i added an extra halide did i get the coloration change

chris88
09/26/2010, 08:08 PM
same with me. my phosphates are 0 and my nitrates are 0 but color hasn't imporved any. I am at the point now where i think i might have brought my nutrients to low.

bertoni
09/27/2010, 11:53 AM
I agree that the nutrients might have been dropped too low. If someone could invent reasonably-priced very-low-limit testing equipment, we might be able to check that.

chris88
09/27/2010, 07:50 PM
right now i am in the process of bringing the alk down and i am wondering how long ti will take to let the corals go back to thier normal colors. Also i just started doesing some brightwell aquatics products so i am hoping they will help as well. Microbacter7, aminos, coral korla, and potassium.

zsuzsu21
09/27/2010, 09:49 PM
right now i am in the process of bringing the alk down and i am wondering how long ti will take to let the corals go back to thier normal colors. Also i just started doesing some brightwell aquatics products so i am hoping they will help as well. Microbacter7, aminos, coral korla, and potassium.

I have not had the high alk issues so far, could possibly be the heavy feeding... but i doubt it. I think my alk is staying around 8-9 dkh due to excellerated growth. also i have not used any other supplements. i feel the corals are getting there aminos from the daily feedings... anybody?

victorcan
09/27/2010, 09:56 PM
My alk is been going up steadily, but then again Ive been dosing w/ esv bionic 2 part every morning, just tested my alk and its up to 4.23 from 4.0 just 2 days ago.. Ive also been dosing vitamin C with pure vitC pills??? read it makes pols pop and i must say they look better and only been a week since starting.. My cal is running 500+ so i think Im gonna back off the esv for a couple days to let things settle a bit... Colors do look great though but I believe its the vit C?? Tank is thriving otherwise :)

tmz
09/27/2010, 10:33 PM
FWIW, I've been dosing vodka and vinegar for 20 months and maintaining alk at a pretty steady 9.5 to 10dkh. Before carbon dosing, I ran ph as high as 13dkh. I've not observed any color changes related to alk or carbon dosing . i have seen sps suffer when alk bounces around though.

Since there are several tanks integrated in the system , I have been able to move certain sps corals into different lighting . Color changes related to lighting are very obvious. I have corals in my system with frags and mini colonies from the parent colonies in different locations with variable lighting 150w mh to 250 mh, 14k to 20k with/without vho , 3 to 12 inches down. In many cases they don't even look like the same coral.Most specimens get richer colors under more intense lighting bit not all some lighten up significantly.. Vho actinics bring out colors nicely too.