PDA

View Full Version : Flow questions

milhous3er
09/25/2010, 08:41 PM
I'm having some second thoughts on my flow in my tank. I have a 40g breeder with a HOB filter (used for phosphate control), a CPR Bak Pak skimmer and 2 koralia 2's. I have no dead spots and everything is thriving (to me at least !!). I'm almost thinking that this is too much. Both of my k2s are pointed on the back wall behind my rocks to eliminate any dead spots. They are pointed at each other to create some turbulence and random flow. My skimmer output is directed to the middle and my hob filter is just pointed to middle also.

My Antennate lion just hangs out by the rock and rarely swims (only to get a ghost shrimp or something) and my GS maroon clown is always in the back corner and rarely leaves a 6" spot in the tank.

Could this possibly be too much flow for a 40g breeder ??

Thinking about upgrading to a single MP10 ?? Good idea or no ??

cloak
09/26/2010, 10:57 AM
I don't think that's to much flow for a 40 breeder. I've got two #2's in a 20 gallon right now and wish I would have gone bigger. There's just something about these pumps that just don't cut it IMO. Like you said though, if everything appears to be thriving, there's really no point in fiddling with it.

Here's a good article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/beginner.htm

Dalbery
09/27/2010, 12:03 AM
x2 not too much flow.

SaltieG
09/27/2010, 05:15 AM
Thats not too much flow. I have a couple K2s in my 40b and its just about perfect and I have a mix of sps/lps and softies. I had tried one of my K3s in the tank, now that was too much flow for the 40b. That would have only worked with an sps dominated tank.

milhous3er
09/27/2010, 08:03 AM
Ok thanks for help. Still contemplating going with a mp10 sometime down the road. I'll keep my k2s as backup !!