PDA

View Full Version : i keep having fish disappear in my tank

prettyeeyoregir
09/26/2010, 09:04 AM
i have a 55 gallon and i had 3 cromis 1 diamond goby 1 fire fish 1 clown 1 blenny and 1 large hermit crab. my bleeny was sick and died over night and the clown fish disappeared over night as well. when i got up i looked into the tank to check on everything and i found the large crab eating the blenny then i noticed about the clown fish. what a sad day :( what is eating my fish or why are the disappearing?

philosophile
09/26/2010, 09:21 AM
How long has your tank been running? How often and how much are you changing your water?

prettyeeyoregir
09/26/2010, 09:35 AM
its been running for 8-9 weeks and we have done two water changes went throught 2 cycles cause we added more rock

Lynnmw1208
09/26/2010, 09:39 AM
have you seen any bug things at night? i'm thinking maybe bad isopods since this seems to be a common problem now. they could've been introduced with some live rock you added. they'll feast on your fish at night and jump off in the morning.

prettyeeyoregir
09/26/2010, 09:44 AM
no the only thing i have seen are spaghetti worms and bristle worms.

prettyeeyoregir
09/26/2010, 10:14 AM
i pulled out a magnifying glass and i did see tiny tiny white bugs on my glass. the move pretty quick is that isopods?

julie180
09/26/2010, 10:33 AM
Probably not isopods. They are not common. There just happen to be 2 people on rc dealing with them at this time.

Did you check the floor around you tank. They could have jumped. And look ALL over. I once found a wrasse 10 feet from the tank. Another had gone through the hole in the floor where the plumbing is and landed 5+ feet over on the basement floor!

prettyeeyoregir
09/26/2010, 11:13 AM
yea i did check the floor all around but i have cats.

rayn
09/26/2010, 11:24 AM
IF they jump and you have cats, they are gonners. I lost two fish and never found them again. Do you by chance have anything in the tank that could eat them, like a anemone? If you want to dig you could move around some rock and see if they are underneath, but that would also make your ammonia go up. Do you know where it is at level wise?

jonbry123
09/26/2010, 01:41 PM
You also said you have a large hermit crab-how large? There are some that the LFSs sell that get 3 to 4 inches across. If it is one of those could be the reason why your fish are disappearing. If you have live rock in the tank you could also have a mantis shrimp and that will certainly kill and eat your fish.