PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove frag from plug?

billdogg
09/26/2010, 01:40 PM
Help Please!!! I posted this in the propagation forum, but am in need of a quick answer.

As the title asks - How?

I just got back from the CORA swap meet and the frags or acclimating as we speak. I've never bought anything on a plug before, and don't want to mess up my new little friends.

Thanks in advance for your help!

James404
09/26/2010, 01:44 PM
Its not really necessary to remove them usually. THey will just end up encrusting over it. If you really want to remove them though you can just pop them off with a little force most of the time.

OwenInAZ
09/26/2010, 01:51 PM
A lot of pests lay eggs at the base of the coral, so it can be a good idea to remove them from the plugs. The easiest way is to take a wire cutter and cut it off the plug. You sacrifice some of the frag this way, but better in the long-term for tank health, especially if you're not QTing.

putitang
09/26/2010, 02:55 PM
Like someone else said you can usually just pop them off with a little force.

billdogg
09/26/2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the help! They all just popped off using nothing more than my thumbnail.

sedor
09/26/2010, 02:59 PM
I've always just used a pair of needle nose pliers, gently grasped the base of the coral with the pliers and twisted it right off. Generally they aren't attached to the plug all that tightly and sometimes you can even just use your fingers. For some of the more delicate frags though I prefer the precision of the pliers as opposed to my big, bulky fingers.

Alysiak00
09/26/2010, 03:01 PM
as stated i just drill a hole in my rock for the plug and allow it to encrust over the plug and onto the rock