PDA

View Full Version : Anemone exposure to air during low tides.

A sea K
09/26/2010, 02:12 PM
There was a post made questioning any issues with exposing a nem to air while doing a water change. In the course of this thread it was pointed out that this is a natural occurance for nems during periods of low tides.
It seems a bit of a stretch to me but I know there are many people around here far more knowledgable than I and more than likely have some information on this occurance. I know this happens on some reef areas but am under the impression that it typically only happens during period of extreme low tides and would actually be surprised if a nem would leave themselves in a position for this to happen, I would only imagine the slightest ripple or current as the water washes the nem against the reef would certainly tear it to shreds.
If any one could point me in the right direction to any information on nems being left high and dry during low tide I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks, Chris

davocean
09/26/2010, 02:38 PM
Happens all the time, and extreme tide swings they can be left very high and dry for a long time, easily 4 hours or more.
I've seen local nems in heavy surf zones, where HUGE waves break on them, pressure that I probably could not tolerate or survive, and yet they handle it somehow.
Though I still will treat my nems like fragile gems, and would not advise putting them to the test of my statement.

NirvanaFan
09/26/2010, 03:19 PM
They get exposed at low tides sometimes. Exposing them for 20 minutes or so during a water change shouldn't really effect them at all.

Indymann99
09/26/2010, 03:45 PM
When, I lived in CA (and frequented the Santa Cruz tide-pools) we always saw nems that were fully exposed in low tide (I would imagine on a daily basis).

However,
I do waterchanges out of the sump so my DT waterlevel doesnt drop and expose my nems.

A sea K
09/26/2010, 05:38 PM
Well I for one am truly amazed. Seems the area most prone to this is the west coast. What types of anemones are these? Is this same event commonplace for the tropical nems we see in our tanks? I was raised on the Atlantic coast of So. Florida and never witnessed this before and based my assumptions on that and what would just normally make sense.

JustinReef
09/26/2010, 07:45 PM
A few beaches in Singapore had haddoni's all over the sand at low tide. I went back almost daily to check them out and you could always find them in the same spots (sometimes out of water, sometimes in water). The ones stuck in tide pools were in water that must have been over 90 degrees easy and would get stuck there for hours.

I also saw a few that were upside down in the sand.

When the tide was in, there were a few areas you couldn't walk through because there were so many anemones. Most of these ones end up out of water at low tide because they were on a sand bar.

JustinReef
09/26/2010, 07:48 PM
Found someones picture....

http://www.pbase.com/eddietkm/image/30351535

TDesaulniers
09/26/2010, 10:01 PM
Found someones picture....

http://www.pbase.com/eddietkm/image/30351535

Wow that's amazing. I knew they were often exposed out of the water but had no idea they would be fully exposed out of the water for that long. Hopefully no one messes or steps on them. That would be awful.

JustinReef
09/26/2010, 10:53 PM
Wow that's amazing. I knew they were often exposed out of the water but had no idea they would be fully exposed out of the water for that long. Hopefully no one messes or steps on them. That would be awful.

I was in Singapore for 2 months right near the beach in that picture and I never saw anyone bother them at all. I think some do get stepped on by accident because they are often totally covered in a thin layer of wet sand.

A sea K
09/27/2010, 06:04 AM
Wow, Now that is truly impressive. Looks like I learned something new today. Thanks everyone and especially JustinReef for the pics.

Reefvette
09/27/2010, 07:56 AM
Any anemone in a low lying reef area will be exposed to air.

The pictures from the guy lewy shows a gigantea in little water that most likely will get exposed to air. Even some coral gets exposed to air in low tide and survives.

Its actually cool.

bues0022
09/27/2010, 11:16 AM
Give this thread a browse for the pictures. It will give you a new sense of how robust the inhabitants of our tanks can be when they are healthy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529412

gordie72
09/27/2010, 01:10 PM
Well I for one am truly amazed. Seems the area most prone to this is the west coast. What types of anemones are these? Is this same event commonplace for the tropical nems we see in our tanks? I was raised on the Atlantic coast of So. Florida and never witnessed this before and based my assumptions on that and what would just normally make sense.

Really? Every time we go to Edisto Beach (South Carolina) we find HUNDREDS of them on the rocks at low tide. High and dry for hours with no ill effects

TDesaulniers
09/27/2010, 04:10 PM
Really? Every time we go to Edisto Beach (South Carolina) we find HUNDREDS of them on the rocks at low tide. High and dry for hours with no ill effects

What kind of anemones?

davocean
09/27/2010, 05:50 PM
All kinds depending on where.
As a surfer I can tell you I have stepped on many, in many places, can't be helped in alot of places.
Doesn't seem to phase them, they just close up.

DZs
09/28/2010, 01:43 AM
All kinds depending on where.
As a surfer I can tell you I have stepped on many, in many places, can't be helped in alot of places.
Doesn't seem to phase them, they just close up.

Ain't that the truth! Lots of them while walking out to ride the waves. I found Northern CA seems to be more green rather then the little brown ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/D83zxt/misc/SantaCruzNem.jpg

A sea K
09/28/2010, 05:53 AM
Give this thread a browse for the pictures. It will give you a new sense of how robust the inhabitants of our tanks can be when they are healthy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529412

Cant thankyou enough for posting this. If anyone here hasnt gotten around to visiting this link I urge you to do so. A truly outstanding thread.

davocean
09/28/2010, 09:24 AM
Ain't that the truth! Lots of them while walking out to ride the waves. I found Northern CA seems to be more green rather then the little brown ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/D83zxt/misc/SantaCruzNem.jpg

Yeah, seen alot of those, sometimes the bottom is like wall to wall carpet w/ them, impossible to not step on them.
Creepy if not wearing booties, and I usually don't.

elegance coral
09/28/2010, 07:57 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

Animals are exposed to many stressful and life threatening conditions in their natural habitat. That doesn't mean we should expose them to these harsh conditions in captivity.

There are also many different species of anemone. The fact that there are tidal zone anemones in California, that are regularly exposed at low tide, does not imply that others are capable of the same thing. We wouldn't keep a cockatoo at 40 below zero because an Impurer Penguin can tolerate these conditions. Even though they are both birds.

Aquatic animals can, and do, die from being exposed at low tide. The fact that some survive is a testament to the powers of life. It's not an indication that this exposure is harmless.

Again, it's just my 2 cents.

bues0022
09/28/2010, 09:44 PM
Very well said EC.