PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock in Low Flow Fuge?

bur01014
09/26/2010, 06:16 PM
So I have a 10 gallon fuge tank that overflows into my 20 gallon sump....I have macro and a bunch of fist size live rock pieces in there ....however, it dawned on me that when people are trying to keep live rock alive, they have it in tubs with powerheads going. My fuge output is quite minimal (my overflow comes down and Tees one going to sump other to fuge, the fuge overflows back into sump)....maybe comparable to a 200-300 gph powerhead....should I not keep live rock in my fuge? Probably a dumb question, but I am at lost....perhaps I need to put a powerhead in the little 10 gallon fuge...but won't this cause havoc on my macro and pod population?

Dalbery
09/26/2010, 11:44 PM
Your live rock will still be very alive in your fuge. My fear with live rock in the fuge is will it become a nitrate trap? Not enough flow to keep the garbage out of it.

Brisc0
09/27/2010, 07:12 AM
Not an issue at all so long as the rock is cured and detritus doesn't collect. I have the exact same setup and siphon out detritus as it appears. This will not put a dent in a your pod population in a healthy, predator free fuge. Good luck!

lucidheights
09/27/2010, 11:27 AM
i have a 75 gallon filled with live rock that is the first stage of my sump. its connected to a 40 gallon that has a skimmer amongst other equipment. The flow through is pretty slow, but i have two power heads in there doing a little something i guess. Detritus settles on the bottom, but honestly i don't see a problem with detritus. It'll break down eventually and be removed by the skimmer and other natural processes. In a balanced system, where input closely matches output, detritus seems to be part of the balance.

crodger
09/27/2010, 11:50 AM
That is not a problem, I just use a turkey baster or powerhead to blow the detrius off