PDA

View Full Version : ro/di vs tap water conditionar

Bretts05jeep
09/27/2010, 09:38 AM
I was getting my saltwater from my lfs, but the last couple times the sg has been about 1.029 or so.

I just got a used coralife ro/di unit still trying to figure out how it works and what needs replaced on it.

So im wondering if it ok to use tap water with conditioner to make my own salt water or if I have to go buy ro/di water from the lfs and mix in my own salt, while im getting my ro unit set up

Bretts05jeep
09/27/2010, 10:39 AM
anybody use only conditionar with out any problems

theatrus
09/27/2010, 10:50 AM
A lot depends on your tap water. You should be able to pull up a report from your city or water district - they are required to disclose it yearly. Look for phosphate (sometimes not on the report) and nitrate levels, as well as their hardness/carbonate hardness levels. Water that is too hard will have issues mixing correctly with salt mixes.

In a pinch, tap water will work. However I'd look into getting your RO/DI unit running ASAP.

lordofthereef
09/27/2010, 11:00 AM
The large difference between conditioner and tapwater is that conditioner is generally just neutralizing chlorine in your water. It is doing nothing to negate/eliminate all other dissolved compounds. Your RO/DI is filtering virtually everything out so all you have is pure water. Plenty of people go without RO/DI. You probably CAN just use the conditioner, but it is nowhere near the same thing (assuming you don't already have a nearly immaculate water supply).

reelfishy
09/27/2010, 11:08 AM
The large difference between conditioner and tapwater is that conditioner is generally just neutralizing chlorine in your water. It is doing nothing to negate/eliminate all other dissolved compounds. Your RO/DI is filtering virtually everything out so all you have is pure water. Plenty of people go without RO/DI. You probably CAN just use the conditioner, but it is nowhere near the same thing (assuming you don't already have a nearly immaculate water supply).

+1 If your tapwater source is decent you can get away with it temporarily.

Bretts05jeep
09/27/2010, 11:13 AM
I have been buying ro water, so if there is any chance of doing damage i will just buy it, my tank has been set up for a while and is doing good.

cdeboard
09/27/2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah I would buy it if your not sure.. luckily my tap is clean. Before I knew about RO/DI i just used tap and never had an issue. So i learned my tap was clean by accidental trial and error lol. If I move though an RO/DI will be in my future.

aleonn
09/27/2010, 01:22 PM
I'd buy RO water from the LFS instead of hoping that TDS of your tap water is acceptable.

sfilipowski
09/27/2010, 01:55 PM
distilled in a pinch. I used distilled for about a yr before I got my rodi. Some tap water can be risky.

Fishtastic
09/27/2010, 01:59 PM
tap water is fine, but it probably at best has elevated nitrate levels...
test it, if it's not too high you can use it, but it's still best to use ro/di

jeff@zina.com
09/27/2010, 02:13 PM
My tap waster has been fine (yours may or may not be unless you're my neighbor across the street...), though it's a bit high in phosphates. RODI eliminates all the guesswork.

Jeff

gnorman
09/27/2010, 02:21 PM
have you checked up on the parameters on your local water yet?

vlangel
09/30/2010, 05:34 PM
Also it depends on the type of corals you keep. Softies can do quite well in tap water that has respectable perameters, but SPS may not fare as well. Softies actually need some phosphates for growth and health but SPS have little tolerance for phosphates. I use only tap water but I keep only softies and a few LPS. I've never had an algae bloom and have great growth. My system is 4 yrs old. As a precaution though I do small weekly water changes in case my water authority would add something I don't know about on a one time basis.

jonbry123
09/30/2010, 06:48 PM
Your water may also contain flouride which is poisenous to coral + depending on what kind of pipes you have-copper that would kill most everything except your fish. As already mentioned just buy distilled water at your grocery store a lot safer than risking your tap water.

Bambalam
09/30/2010, 06:54 PM
All tapwater is not created equal! While some lucky folks have excellent tapwater, my local tapwater has a TDS of 460. I won't drink it, let alone use it in my reef tank. JMO

JEFFRO33
09/30/2010, 07:07 PM
Do not use tap water.Use ro/di only.Ro/di not only removes chlorine but will also remove heavy metals and total dissolved solids.If this is a used ro i would change the pre sediment and post carbon filter also the membrain should probably be changed as well.Pick up a cheap tds meter to moniter the production of the ro make up water.Way cheaper tp make your own water that it is to buy it.Most ro's have a 80% rejection rate so if this is a ro with out the di filter you might want to consider adding one.Your ultimate goal is zero tds.

Bretts05jeep
10/01/2010, 10:52 AM
Do not use tap water.Use ro/di only.Ro/di not only removes chlorine but will also remove heavy metals and total dissolved solids.If this is a used ro i would change the pre sediment and post carbon filter also the membrain should probably be changed as well.Pick up a cheap tds meter to moniter the production of the ro make up water.Way cheaper tp make your own water that it is to buy it.Most ro's have a 80% rejection rate so if this is a ro with out the di filter you might want to consider adding one.Your ultimate goal is zero tds.

i tested my tap water very high phos

i was waiting for the filters to set it up, just got them and set them up yesterday

did a water test on the water after litting it run for 24hrs and it has 0 phos, glad i didnt use tap water and conditionar