PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon opinions please!!

fla_tony
09/27/2010, 04:15 PM
I just upgraded from my 55 to a 75. currently running a eheim canister and 2 hob filters, a hob skimmer, deep blue pro 48" t5. 60+/- lbs of live rock. I want to switch to a sump w/ skimmer in the next week or two to lose all the hob stuff. Just wanting to hear opinions on the current setup what i should change now and maybe what a solid sump/skimmer setup would be. thanks everyone!!

the tank:
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/ajpesce21/261070960_photobucket_18694_.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af355/ajpesce21/261070960_photobucket_18688_.jpg

fla_tony
09/27/2010, 04:16 PM
i have two powerheads currently as well, i want to get one or two more.

reefermad619
09/27/2010, 04:33 PM
Are you going to drill the tank?

fla_tony
09/27/2010, 04:48 PM
i haven't decided. I really don't want to disturb the tank too much or move it. I was probably going to go with an overflow. if i can get away with draining some water and drilling i would definitely consider it.

jonbry123
09/27/2010, 05:50 PM
If you decide to drill be very careful it is unlikely you will be able to because the bottom glass is most likely tempered but the sides can be too. Best bet is to use overflows to the sump. If just isn't worth taking a chance that you crack the glass.

Palting
09/27/2010, 06:01 PM
If you are going with sump, a drilled tank is way better than overflows. Even the overflow makers will tell you that. Here's how to tell if the sides are tempered, quoted from Aqueon/AllGlass:

It requires: anything with an LCD screen (like a cell phone or a laptop computer) and polarized sunglasses. You put on the sunglasses, and look at the screen and turn your head 45 degrees. The screen should turn black. (this is just to make sure you have polarized glasses... all LCD screens are polarized). Next you place the lcd on the other side of the glass in question (like fishtank or car window etc). If you see a blotchy or streaky dark pattern when you turn your head, the glass is tempered. If not, it's not tempered!

Best deal for drilling stuff is Glass-holes.com.

Best place to learn about sumps is http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

You'll find thhat once you get more specific on your questions, you'll get better answers.

fla_tony
09/28/2010, 08:22 AM
thank you Palting, that site is very helpful with some really nice sumps! i guess some more specific questions are, my hob filters and canister run mechanical filtration and carbon. is that not necessary with a sump/refugium set up?

Reverend Reefer
09/28/2010, 09:00 AM
i just switched to a sump setup from running hob crap and an eheim canister. best thing that's ever happened to my reef. took alot of planning tho. i couldn't drill my tank so i ended up using a siphon overflow box. here's my advice:

1. plan your plumbing. seriously. even after all my planning i still ended up making a couple mistakes and needed to re-cut and glue this or that pvc etc.

2. make sure your skimmer fits in the sump section that you want it to be in before you start glueing baffles/sections in the sump! haha.

3. plan your sump design properly or else it won't work. i originally followed one plan and then ended up realizing the flow won't happen.

4. make sure you plan a way that you can disconnect your sump if you need to make modifications. i designed everything, posted it somewhere, and someone noted that i have no way of "turning it off" once it was going.

5. get a good reliable and strong return pump and tee off the return so you can have some of the return water going back into your refugium section.

6. finally, i would suggest setting up an auto-top off system built into your sump with a resevoir system somehow or at least consider this. might as well also consider how you will be doing water changes as well to make your life easier now. i ended up designing it with top off water/kalkwasser and two part dosing built into the sump system. made my life that much easier.

jmski333
09/28/2010, 09:13 AM
+1 on glass-holes.com

My skimmer recommendation is an Octo Extreme 160 or 200.

It stinks you didn't drill your tank before you set it up because drilling it with everything in it could be dicey. While your drilling you want your diamond hole saw to be wet at all times and doing that without the tank laying flat on it's side could be messy. There is also the small chance of your tank cracking. (It won't if its done properly).
So deciding to drill your tank is entirely up to you, But is hands down the better choice.

Sump size for a 75 Gallon depends on how much room you want. If you just want room for your heaters, skimmer, and return pump than a 20L would be fine. i wouldn't go anything bigger than a 55g so it will fit underneath your current tank. Some choose the biggest sump possible to increase their water volume as much as they possibly can and to add as much LR as they possibly can. But with more water means a bigger skimmer and more watts heater wise. So it all depends on your budget. I personally choose a 38 gallon because it was on craiglist for cheap and was the biggest i could fit underneath my 90. It fits my Octo extreme 200, 2 heaters, about 35lbs of LR and my Ehiem return pump with no problem plus the necessary baffles.

Good luck

Palting
09/28/2010, 09:44 AM
thank you Palting, that site is very helpful with some really nice sumps! i guess some more specific questions are, my hob filters and canister run mechanical filtration and carbon. is that not necessary with a sump/refugium set up?

Most sumps use a filter sock on their drain outlet at the sump to act as a mechanical filter, and then either throw a bag of carbon in the sump or use the more ideal carbon/GFO reactor(s). You can also design your sump so you can have trays for mechanical filters and carbon pillows. In your case, I would keep the cannister as a mechanical and chemical filter.

fla_tony
09/28/2010, 10:27 AM
thanks guys. most likely going to run an overflow on this setup. Im getting my friends drilled 240 with 2 sumps. that i will set up in the future, he is just offering me a deal i cant refuse. Just not ready financially or experienced enough to dive into a tank that big.

Based on the stuff you guys have told me i'm going to leave the canister for my mechanical and carbon filtration. get rid of all the hob crap, run a 30g sump with skimmer and refugium. Now im going to work on some plans for the plumbing and everything so i can try to run into the least amount of issues as possible. So when i get a diagram going i will post that up and see what you guys can tear apart. :spin1: