PDA

View Full Version : Under water camera?

nrbelk
09/27/2010, 04:59 PM
I would like to save up for a nice (doesn't have to be the best, but good) under water camera that I can scuba dive with.

My main intent will be to make some nice, high-res widescreen wallpapers for computers.

Any suggestions on what camera(s)/lenses/stuff I should look into?

I'm pretty much a photo noob so I don't know much but am willing to learn.

kilroy217
09/28/2010, 08:56 AM
i recently picked up a used Canon G9 (they are up to G11 now), and an underwater housing specifically made for the G9. Camera was around $250, and housing was around $175. Good part about doing it this way is that you can shoot RAW (rather than JPG), and be able to adjust the white balance in post. You're not going to find a cheaper combo that can also shoot RAW, in my opinion.

Recty
09/28/2010, 06:11 PM
Which housing did you buy for the G9? Did you research housings and determined that was the best one or did you just go with the cheapest you could find?

kilroy217
09/29/2010, 07:59 AM
I bought the Canon-specific housing. A friend of mine had one, and I've borrowed his before to go scuba diving. He's never had a problem, and I trust his judgement. Got it brand new from B&H. I wouldn't mess around with used housings, just to be safe. Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526142-REG/Canon_2319B001.html

looks like the price dropped $10, since I bought it, too. :)

As an alternative, Ikelite does also have a housing, but it seems that the price difference is for the rated depth (Canon=130', Ikelite=200'). I don't ever intend to take a camera past about 100', so the additional cost didn't seem worth it, in my opinion.

From what I learned from my buddy mentioned above is that the key to these housings keeping their seal is good maintenance and upkeep. Always make sure to thoroughly clean your housing before opening it. Not one spec of sand should be on or near the housing when it is opened. Also, thoroughly rinsing the saltwater, too. Salt crystals can cause leaks in the seal. Lastly, making sure to always keep the rubber o-ring (gasket) slightly greased with the provided grease (not too little, not too much). Again, I'm basically just repeating what my buddy taught me, so I make no guarantees. :)