PDA

View Full Version : Reef Troubleshooting

Rog7
09/28/2010, 07:09 AM
I need your guys help to eliminate possible problems with my reef. Something doesn't seem right and my corals aren't growing anymore.

I was getting good growth (what i thought was good) on the green birds nest and plating monti. The birds nest had 9 growth points and I could see daily growth on the monti. Now nothing at all for 2 months. The yellow pagoda has started to get patches of green on it. I bought a chalice and brain that didn't look 100% and haven't recovered at all, they haven't got any worse though. It seems that something has halted the growth of my corals.

One thing I am worried about is that there is a leak somewhere in my tank (very slow) and the supporting bars in the concrete base are rusting and dripping into my tank but very slowly.

Here are the specs

Tank been running for nearly 10 months
Volume: 1230l
DSB
Refugium
Zeo Reactor
10ml vodka daily
1 ampule of biodigest every 2 weeks

Salinity 1,0267
Alk: 7dkh (0,112 dkh or 2ppm variation over 2 days)
Ca: 420 (1ppm variation over 2 days)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
P: 0,03 (salifert test kit)
Mg: 1350

Water changes 500 - 750l per month (water is filtered through carbon, chemipure elite and purigen for 24 hours before change)

I have been dosing reef snow, coral grow & plankton (2ml of each, every few days now) and the birdsnests have started to color up but nothing else seems to be getting better. The brains aren't getting any better (or worse), the chalice is slowly getting worse and I have zoa's that won't open (but others seem to be doing ok)

Anything other info needed?

HighlandReefer
09/28/2010, 07:43 AM
"One thing I am worried about is that there is a leak somewhere in my tank (very slow) and the supporting bars in the concrete base are rusting and dripping into my tank but very slowly."

How was your tank built. Do you have a concrete tank with something covering the concrete?

Rog7
09/28/2010, 07:49 AM
I have a normal glass tank on a concrete stand, with the sump underneath. The water drips very slowly into the sump, maybe a few drops a day.

Rog7
09/28/2010, 07:51 AM
Here is my build thread, haven't updated it in about 9 months though

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745118

HighlandReefer
09/28/2010, 07:52 AM
If the water drips over the metal bars in the concrete and drops into your sump, this could cause a higher level of iron and/or other heavy metals. This could cause problems for coral.

Rog7
09/28/2010, 07:56 AM
Would it effect certain corals or all corals? Cause not all my corals are doing badly.

HighlandReefer
09/28/2010, 01:20 PM
Higher heavy metal levels (iron levels for example) will effect different coral differently according to some research I have read. The same with other heavy metals. This is not to say that there may not be other things causing your coral problems. If the water is running over the rebarb in your concrete stand and ending up in your tank water, I would look for a way to prevent this from occuring such as a catch pan of some sort.

Rog7
09/28/2010, 01:46 PM
Cool, thanks man. Should have put a drip tray in a while ago, been trying to find the leak but can't find it. There is NO space behind my tank even to look, never mind work. Lol.

HighlandReefer
09/28/2010, 01:53 PM
YOur welcome. ;)

At least putting a catch pan in will eliminate that possiblity for your problems. ;)

bertoni
09/28/2010, 03:32 PM
I agree that keeping the drip out of the tank is the first priority. You could try running a PolyFilter or some CupriSorb for the time being, along with plenty of fresh carbon.