PDA

View Full Version : Kalk dripper.

dublo8
09/28/2010, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
i am looking for a little more information on how to drip kalk water. Or how to go about using it. I have the kent marine aquadosing system, which is basically a glorified drip system. This was the most economical way and the easiest way for me to get calcium into my system without dosing 2 part every couple of days. I have tried to read some info on it and have a couple questions. FYI, i have a mixed reef mainly LPS, softies with a few SPS. see my sig for tank description.

1. I mixed 1 tsp of kalk powder to 1 gallon of water. shook it up and let it settle for a couple hours. Do I only use the clear portion of water and add that to the drip system?

2. with the sludge left over in the bottom of the 1 gallon jug, can that be reused? or should I put another tsp of kalk powder in there and add water? or just add water to the remainder of the sludge? I understand only so much kalk can be absorbed by the water so if I dont put more kalk in there will the remainder kalk sludge disolve in the newly added water?

3. Should the drip rate be the same amount that is being evaporated from the sump? example: I evap about 3/4 gallon of SW per day. Should the drip rate equall 3/4 gallon of kalk water to replace the evap?

Please lead me in the right direction. thank you and happy reefing :fish2:

btkrausen
09/28/2010, 07:38 PM
1. Yes, only use the clear portion of the water. You don't want the actually kalk to drip into the system.

2. I've always just kept whats in there, throw in a bit more, and shake it up. I just moved to a kalk reactor this weekend, so its basically the same concept, it'll continue mixing the same kalk in new water.

3. I, as may people do, use kalk inline with their top off. I have my controller to put in exactly enough water that I evaporate. I'm still trying to gauge that exact time :)

I believe the max you that a gal of water can absorb is 2 tbsp

dublo8
09/28/2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that response. I figured I was doing it correctly I just read over the reefkeeper magazine article on it and it made me question my practices is all. What reactor did you go with? I dont have room in my sump for one but with a new tank coming hopefully soon i will have plenty of room in the new stand for one. Did you get a stirrer or power head type mixer?

bertoni
09/28/2010, 09:49 PM
In this case the leftover sludge at the bottom is a collection of various impurities, and they can be ignored.

btkrausen
09/29/2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that response. I figured I was doing it correctly I just read over the reefkeeper magazine article on it and it made me question my practices is all. What reactor did you go with? I dont have room in my sump for one but with a new tank coming hopefully soon i will have plenty of room in the new stand for one. Did you get a stirrer or power head type mixer?

I just bought a Precision Marine and I love it. I had a Geo previously, and it was nice as well. The PM one is a bit cheaper in price.

They both use the powerhead type mixer. I don't have any knowledge on the stir type, but I do like the powerhead type as even during mixing, the kalk powder never gets above the inlet of the powerhead, so it stays clear at the top.(which is where the water goes out to the tank)

sneeyatch
09/29/2010, 05:38 PM
I'm currently using kalk in a 10 gallon tank located behind my sump. I use an Aqualifter pump in conjunction with my ATO to top off with my kalk. I keep a Maxi-jet in the 10 gallon tank to mix up the solution. I switch off my ATO for a little bit while the kalk settles, then kick the ATO back on.

JamesJR
09/29/2010, 08:02 PM
The way I prepare Kalkwasser is to first warm the water up with an aquarium heater to degas the water. I then let it cool to room temp. I then add vinegar to it and add the kalk powder last. I stir it around for a few minutes then let it settle. I take another bucket that is clean and carefully pour the kalk through a large funnel filled with filter floss. This gets me very clear kalkwasser with a lot less precipitate.

I don't have a sump on my 20 and add kalk directly to the tank. No solid at the bottom gives me piece of mind as I don't want any solids landing on my corals. I monitor my Alk, Ca and Mg levels carefully and I don't seem to have any big Alk drops this way. I correct any imbalances with 2 parts and this seems to be a decent method.