PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a high flow quiet pump

VictionOne
09/29/2010, 04:58 AM
I'm looking for a pump that can put out about 2600gph, more or less, but it has to be VERY quiet. It also has to be an internal pump. Any suggestions?

kalapnath
09/29/2010, 07:14 AM
for a pump that's gonna be putting out that amount you might think about getting an external pump unless of course you have a really big chiller cause it's gonna heat up the water in the sump plus if you have a in sump skimmer that's going to add as well.............
a good quiet external pump is the IWAKI with the japanese motor..............

viggen
09/29/2010, 08:17 AM
Red Dragon 12m3

I purchased one a few months back due to wanting a quiet pump. These can be run internal or external & draw 100-130w suppose to be as quiet as they come.

Not much else out there that's internal with that kind of flow. MAG pumps that push that much water are VERY loud

VictionOne
09/29/2010, 08:25 PM
Yikes! The price for the dragon is just nuts, but I guess you have to pay to play. I currently have an octopus waterblaster HY10000 and its a great pump pump I want something even more quiet. My tank is in my living room where I listen to my stereo and the slightest noise is just driving me nuts. I'll try swapping the pump first.

Any other suggestions other than the Dragon?

sirreal63
09/29/2010, 08:43 PM
Is there a reason why you need that large of a pump?

torero500
09/29/2010, 11:11 PM
There shouldn't be that much need for a pump. Remember sump turnover really only need be 3-5X per hour total display tank volume, and closed loop doesn't have to be near that strong. NO pump is silent. Internal ones all have a hum, and some have suggested that only the external red dragon is quiet. But it's spendy.

poolkeeper1
09/29/2010, 11:44 PM
Water blaster from Coralvue, They are dead silent and come in many sizes to meet your needs. The 10000 i think put out around 2600 gph and there is one bigger than that, Plus they only use 120W i think. Check them out Reef Specialty has them.
Bill

philosophish
09/30/2010, 02:19 AM
Have you looked into the ATB "flow-stars"?

VictionOne
09/30/2010, 07:25 PM
I forgot to mention that this isn't for my reef but my freshwater tank. The sump is the filtration so it requires a lot of flow to keep the tank clean for my large fish. Reef people are always so much more knowledgeable so I asked here. :)

ATB flow stars look interesting. They look just like the dragons but a lot cheaper. Anyone have any personaly experiences on the dragons and flowstars?

torero500
09/30/2010, 09:59 PM
I personally think high flow rates are an exagerrated and overated benefit in freshwater tanks. I ran a heavily stocked freshwater tank for years with minimal losses and had a flow rate about a 1/4 of what is typically recommended. Nothing bad ever happened, fish seemed happy and vibrant, and didn't have all the visual unsightliness or noise.

viggen
09/30/2010, 10:19 PM
there are silent pumps.... but many do have that annoying hum. I tried the red dragon due to not wanting the hum.... I also found it for about 1/2 off normal price & it was new. Still hurt to buy it but not really that much more then a dart gold that I was considering.

There aren't many other options out there. I have a Laguna 4200 (I think that's the model) that has good flow & is quiet. I use it in my pond sometimes & I do not hear it when I stand close to the pump. 2600 gph is a lot for a internal pump, most switch to external when they want that kind of flow.

goober35
09/30/2010, 10:21 PM
i am turning over my tank 48 times per hour but my sump only 5-6 times per hour. Why in gods name would you want 2600gph to go though your sump. Dont try and get all of your flow though the sump just use power head to circulate the water though your tank

VictionOne
10/06/2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for replies. I have a lot of large fish and do not want any power heads. Tank is 450g so I figured a 2800gph pump has about 2000gph after 12ft head loss which will put me a little over 4x an hour.

After searching I'm hoping a ATB flow star 3200 will do the job. The Red Dragon RD12 is $300 more but at what advantage I don't know.

So who has the best deal on the Flow Star 3200 right now?