PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use 175w On My Hamilton??

tripnbili
09/29/2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not very educated as far as the electronics go with lighting. I have this fixture: http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/item/4-DLX-2MH-&-48-FLUORESCENT-110W-1700

I bought it secondhand with 250w bulbs...I bought two new 14K Ushios and put them to work about 4 months ago. It's on my 75g (specs in my sig) and I just feel like it's too much light. All of my zoas/palys retract to the rock with almost no extension. Also, I have to be SO careful with new frags as not too bleach them.

I was wondering if I can use 175w bulbs, and if so, what temp would you suggest?

I've also considered switching to Radium 20K bulbs as this would help a bit, plus better color, but less growth...

Thanks so much!!!

sirreal63
09/29/2010, 08:41 PM
Of course you can, if you change ballasts. Switch to Radiums, it is easier and cheaper. Zoas can handle higher light, I have a friend who keeps them under 400 watters and they grow like crazy.

kduen
09/29/2010, 10:41 PM
Did you acclimate them to the new lights? The easist and cheapest way is to put three layers of window screen inbetween the lights and the top of the tank and remove 1 one layer every 7 days and you should be set.

tripnbili
09/30/2010, 04:32 AM
Of course you can, if you change ballasts. Switch to Radiums, it is easier and cheaper. Zoas can handle higher light, I have a friend who keeps them under 400 watters and they grow like crazy.

I guess I'll try them out...I've heard a lot about them and I like the blue too

Did you acclimate them to the new lights? The easist and cheapest way is to put three layers of window screen inbetween the lights and the top of the tank and remove 1 one layer every 7 days and you should be set.

I acclimate everything...even SPS that have been under high light. I have a few frag racks at various heights through the tank and give them about a week on each one until they're at the height I want...