PDA

View Full Version : SRO 3000 or ATI Bubblemaster 200

Slick1424
10/01/2010, 02:24 AM
Hey,

Just wondering which skimmer I should go with. I can get both brand new for the same price.

Should I can with a Super Reef Octopus 3000 internal or an ATI Bubblemaster 200.

Its for an 180G FOWLR thats going to be heavily stocked.

Thanks!

Airwolf75
10/01/2010, 04:28 AM
I use a Bubble Master 200 on my 180 gallon reef.

I could ramble on about it's awesomeness, how it's easy to adjust, reliable, blah blah blah.

The only certainty is it made my tank look like this.
http://greatauksociety.com/aquarium/aquarium.JPG

solitude127
10/01/2010, 09:59 AM
FYI - ATI no longer sells the Bubblemaster Skimmer anymore. They're coming out with a new skimmer called the powercone.
Between the 2, I'd definitely go with the SRO. The bubble blaster pump is much better than the sicce's

franklinbeens
10/01/2010, 11:06 AM
wait for the powercone!!!

reefsic
10/01/2010, 01:07 PM
I ran an ATI BM 200 in the past, and it did a good job skimming out junk from the tank but was very sensitive when it came to adjusting, which got super annoying!

If cost is not an issue here, I would wait for the ATI Powercone or go with the SRO!

GL

JAustin
10/01/2010, 09:15 PM
Sro!

tegee
10/02/2010, 05:12 AM
The ATI Powercone seems like the really deal. Tooooo many problems I have seen here on RC to go with the SRO's imho. BB pumps issues and adjustment issues up the wazoo. My Hurricone has had pump issues from the beginning and I am not alone.

mojo~
10/02/2010, 06:42 AM
The SRO would be a better choice than the ati 200 for sure. But the powercone looks to be a top performer for sure.

ATI uses a Sicce pump witch in my opinion should of never been used as a skimmer pump with the rotational issues the stock volute has. The work well when running the right direction.

As far as Bubble blaster pumps.. I have had several now and all work flawlessly. Not as quiet as a Askol pump but the performance is far above a sicce without a doubt.

Mojo~

badwrasse
10/02/2010, 07:21 AM
FYI - ATI no longer sells the Bubblemaster Skimmer anymore. They're coming out with a new skimmer called the powercone.
Between the 2, I'd definitely go with the SRO. The bubble blaster pump is much better than the sicce's

they do still sell bubblemasters but only utill they are all gone, they are on clearance for 499 on reefgeek and a few other places. they are not using the sicce pumps anymore.

badwrasse
10/02/2010, 07:32 AM
The SRO would be a better choice than the ati 200 for sure. But the powercone looks to be a top performer for sure.

ATI uses a Sicce pump witch in my opinion should of never been used as a skimmer pump with the rotational issues the stock volute has. The work well when running the right direction.

As far as Bubble blaster pumps.. I have had several now and all work flawlessly. Not as quiet as a Askol pump but the performance is far above a sicce without a doubt.

Mojo~

ATI is not using the modified sicce pumps anymore for the powercone.
i think im going to wait for the power cone myself or maybe a skimz.
maybe the octos are better now since they are using petter pumps but the octos i have and have had in the past have always under performed the rating they give them, so if its rated for a 120gallon you better get one thats rated for 200, they over rate them IMO.

James404
10/02/2010, 07:35 AM
The ATI Powercone seems like the really deal. Tooooo many problems I have seen here on RC to go with the SRO's imho. BB pumps issues and adjustment issues up the wazoo. My Hurricone has had pump issues from the beginning and I am not alone.

I have heard of no issues of BB pumps, mine works flawlessly and never has any problems restarting. Adjustments on these skimmers is simple, get it in the right water depth and your golden. I highly recommend the SRO from my experiences, they are probably the best bang for your buck skimmer out there.

Bilulan
10/03/2010, 05:28 PM
I have almost the same tank specs as you. 180 DT, 40 in the sump.
After much research I went with the XP-2000 external, as I have no plans of upgrading past 200 gallon DT anytime soon.

Piece of cake to tune. just need to tee off your return line or put a 300-400 gph pump on it. Whichever method you choose, just put a ball valve on the flow line and it is super simple to dial in whatever water level you want.

For me it was the bubble blaster pump over the sicce pump that was the final decision. The external gives you added water volume and a recirculating skimmer as well.

The foam that comes out of this thing within 6 hours of install is sick. you tube has many videos of these skimmers in action, shortly after install.