PDA

View Full Version : WHAT PH test to test my diy live and base rock?

marinerfr
10/01/2010, 07:07 PM
Hi guys i was wondering what kind of test i should use to test my man made base rock?/ since u will get higher ph readings?:worried:

NanoReefWanabe
10/01/2010, 08:21 PM
just use cheap dip strips...if it reads off the chart then you clearly have to wait longer...do you really need to know if it is at 12 or 11? you just need to know it is well above 8, once it gets to the 8 range then you can consider putting it in your tank or using higher resolution test kits...

widmer
10/01/2010, 08:32 PM
You also will get the most accurate reading if you have it in aquarium water... If you test it in RO water, the fact that RO water has no buffering ions will cause it to read much higher than it really is...

marinerfr
10/01/2010, 11:45 PM
You also will get the most accurate reading if you have it in aquarium water... If you test it in RO water, the fact that RO water has no buffering ions will cause it to read much higher than it really is...

the reason i ask is i bought a freshwater ph test n it only tests up to 7

NanoReefWanabe
10/02/2010, 06:48 AM
you will need a higher range kit...the rock will likely never get down into the 7 range..

i dont think there is any difference between FW and SW pH test kits other then the SW range is higher (for us hobbyists)

i think when i did my rock i used a simple FW pool test kit, they were just dip strips.