PDA

View Full Version : High CA + ALK

thirst
10/02/2010, 03:40 AM
So i recently moved into a 250 tank. I have some SPS but they are still just recovering from the move, so I think that my calcium and alk demands are not that high yet. I tested about 2 weeks ago and was at 435 ca, 12dkh, 1350 mag.

Now I am at 490 ca, 14dkh. I am thinking that my corals will start stabilizing and start using them up. Should I be worried for the time being that my dkh is so high? I will test again in 2 weeks and if my dkh is still this high, I will change up my routine.

As a matter of reference, I am currently topping off with lime water + use a calcium reactor. I just hooked up the calcium reactor recently, and am running about 50mL per minute, but keeping the effluent at a relative high ph, around 6.7-7.0, figuring that it would dissolve less and therefore add less ca/alk to the tank.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

HighlandReefer
10/02/2010, 07:05 AM
When your alk level climbs above 12 dKH you wil get a lot of calcium carbonate start to form on equipment and tank glass. This can be hard on equipment and hard to remove from glass. I would stop your kalk water and calcium reactor & let the alk drop to the recommended range. It won't take long. After that you may want to use just the kalk water and see if this meets your demand for alk. If so, you will want to wait until your alk demand requires the reactor.

thirst
10/02/2010, 11:04 AM
great, thanks Cliff. I was thinking that is what I should do.

HighlandReefer
10/03/2010, 06:26 AM
Your welcome. ;)