PDA

View Full Version : jager heater question

NP_Reef
10/02/2010, 05:15 PM
do jager heaters need to be fully submerged?

how much needs to be submerged?

thanks i couldn't find this info in their website.

Sisterlimonpot
10/02/2010, 05:18 PM
On all my jager heaters they have a water line, they recommend you don't submerge past there.

Dustin1300
10/02/2010, 08:52 PM
I'd take that advice. Being shocked by your heater is not a fun time. I was setting up a QT with a cheaper glass heater and reached in to plug place a powerhead and got a good shocking! Now I stick with the Stealth heaters and use 2 smaller heaters should the controller fail I don't have a boil over!

James404
10/02/2010, 09:49 PM
They are fully submersible, you dont want the water level to drop below the line on them.

Canadian Reefer
10/02/2010, 10:03 PM
NEVER get a heater that is not fully submersible, that is old school. The line is where the heater needs to be at least in the water so it doesnt get cracked, which would equal the shock of your life.

theatrus
10/02/2010, 10:40 PM
Jagers can be fully immersed, I've had mine running that way forever. The line is for "never go below here".

DxSOR25
10/03/2010, 12:29 AM
jager heaters are the favorite of so many people.. is there any specific reason to why?

Vegas.
10/03/2010, 01:14 AM
The old Jagers were not fully submersible. The new ones made my Eheim are fully submersible.

Dustin1300
10/03/2010, 06:33 AM
NEVER get a heater that is not fully submersible, that is old school. The line is where the heater needs to be at least in the water so it doesnt get cracked, which would equal the shock of your life.

:furious: VERY TRUE! :furious:

I had gotten this older heater in a purchase on craigs list and had kept around thinking I'd have a use for it. I've got two small plastic stealth heaters in my DT and now have one I purchased for my DT too. Not ever taking the chance again!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown

Sugar Magnolia
10/03/2010, 06:55 AM
jager heaters are the favorite of so many people.. is there any specific reason to why?

Because they are a very reliable and failproof (when used properly) heater. I have one that has been in use for over 7 years. ;)

A sea K
10/03/2010, 07:01 AM
The old Jagers were not fully submersible. The new ones made my Eheim are fully submersible.

The way I understand it is the old ones are. They're just not sold that way. Has something to do with not having a "UL" listing as a submersible. I have three that have been submerged for 4 yrs now with 0 issues.

papa_dog
10/03/2010, 07:06 AM
Just bought a new one of these (already have two others). At the store the clerk explained that the water line was there to comply with CSA (and the US version - SA?) until they could get the rating for fully submersible. I guess they are considered fully submersible elsewhere in the world, but weren't approved for that in North America till now. They have apparently doubled up the thickness of the cord on the new ones to comply and now they are rated for fully submersible according to the front of the box.

Cheers,
K.

Tony78
10/03/2010, 07:09 AM
The way I understand it is the old ones are. They're just not sold that way. Has something to do with not having a "UL" listing as a submersible. I have three that have been submerged for 4 yrs now with 0 issues.

Correct. All of the jager heaters are submersible. When eheim bought the company, they had to go through a UL re-cert. Eheim support will tell you this. The heater design has not changed, but until eheim gets the new UL listing as submersible, they must sell the heaters with a water line. I emailed eheim support and asked. I have a fw cichlid tank with one of the newer eheim jager water line heaters fully submerged.

papa_dog
10/03/2010, 07:09 AM

Guess I type too slow on a Sunday morning as your answer posted first.

Cheers,
K.