PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter as overflow.

Serdiss
10/02/2010, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,
I have recently set up a new 90gal tank, which i'd like to make a reef. I have the sump and everything ready but I don't have an overflow box yet. I do on the other hand have a 2500 l/h canister filter, with live rock, activated carbon and a uv sterilizer in it; so it isn't a nitrate factory at all. I was just wondering whether I could used this to draw water from my aquarium into the sump, while it also serves as a filter.
Thanks guys:beer:
-Serdiss

Lynnmw1208
10/02/2010, 10:43 PM
oh my gosh why didn't I think of that?! that's a good idea! sounds like it'll work especially if the gph matches well with your pump!

theatrus
10/02/2010, 10:55 PM
The canister is a closed pressurized system. Sumps are an open system - so if return stops, it will drain until the siphon break (which won't restart), which means you overflowed the sump, and your tank is on the floor. If the pump stops in a siphon, it won't go anywhere.

Serdiss
10/02/2010, 11:10 PM
Well what if my return JUST touches the waterline or is just above it, the siphon would break almost instantly, and so the idea would work wouldn't it?:hmm5:

Soymilk
10/02/2010, 11:38 PM
So let me get this straight.

You what your canister filter to pump water to your sump and have another pump puma water out.

How will you control the flow? There is no way you could pump it evenly. One will eventually out pump the other. What if one pump dies out of no where. Then you risk flooding your sump or display tank. You can not rely on two pumps to run a sump. I'm always up for new approaches to doing things but 99.9% of the time, things are done for a reason because that's the best way.

Just run the canister filter until you have a overflow box.

P.s. Canister filters are nitrate factories because food will get stuck in there and rot. Unless you can keep it clean, it will produce no3.

Serdiss
10/02/2010, 11:44 PM
Alright, thank you for that.
I will just buy another overflow box then.
Thanks for helping!:lolspin:

MelloW33
10/03/2010, 07:35 PM
Drain the tank and drill it, makes life much simpler in the long run.